Author Topic: Q: Natural reflex in one limb, deflex in the other - tillering check  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Strichev

Dangerous tillering stick

(Yes, a proper tillering tree is in the making. This dangerous contraption  I have right now is rather detrimental to the whole effort. And has the potential cause grave injuries. ;) )

So, I have a yew bow in the making(it was a rather warped thing before I heat treated some semblance of tip - handle alignment into it) and it just so happened that one limb has and inch or so of reflex while the other limb had slightly more deflex.

I again tortured the thing a bit and removed most of that deflex but when drawing the thing it sort of comes back in a non-permanent fashion. By that I mean that the limb that had deflex seems to want to bend more despite having more wood left. On the other side, of course, the reflex is causing the limb to look somewhat stiff. I've been slowly removing wood from the "stiff" portion of the limb, but now it appears to be getting quite thin and I don't feel like making it bend excessively to follow a pre-determined curve.

Should I compromise and leave the reflexed part of the limb stiffer? .
Now to the numerous other defects I can see.

1) Right limb is stiff near the tip around the small knot. That's the limb with reflex
2) Right limb is very stiff around that large knot
3) A slight hinge can be seen a few inches from the handle on the right limb

4) Left limb is VERY stiff near the middle where there is a very large knot further from the grip and a smaller one more towards the center. Between these two knots is the stiffest part
5) The part especially near the tip seems a bit massive (from slightly before the knot to the end of it the limb had quite a bit of deflex I heat gunned out)

These are my observations. What do you thing?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Q: Natural reflex in one limb, deflex in the other - tillering check
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:38:12 am »
Sorry I can't really be a lot of help probably beyond my exprerience and no pictures to look at. The only advice I feel I can give is stiff spots and hinges are not good. You have to make it bend evenly. Stiff spot next to hinge, hinge will loss it's gonna break there. Not sure if that's any help but good luck
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Emmet

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:03 am »
My eyes it looks like the left limb is stiff coming out of the handle a ways. The knot on the right is stiff.
Other then that it doesn't look so bad. maybe a few scrapes here and there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:27:54 am by Emmet »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:38:17 am »
Strichev,
Anyway, both limbs have to do an equal share of the work.
That is they both have to bend the same distance.
Knots have to end a little but appear stiffer than the rest of the limb.
Sounds like a really challenging stave.
My site may help.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:43:42 am »
Can we see a before, strung, and bent picture.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:18:40 pm »
Good advice above!
To control equal ammount of work: Clamp the bow in your vice, secure one limb to make sure it doesn't move, hang on a weight on the other and measure the way how long the limb has moved, turn around and do the same procedure with the other limb. Of course the length shold be the same.

An other option: let the unbraced bow balance at your index finger at pivot point, it should be in balance.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany