Author Topic: Osage Score!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Osage Score!
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:44 am »
I exercise a lot, walking and going to the gym, my walking takes place on some TVA property that has been developed into a public walking trail through the woods, down by the Tennessee river and back to the parking lot. They have made some new hiking trails in the last couple of years, one that parallels the river and is loaded with old osage trees.

One huge osage tree, uprooted but still living, was blocking the new trail. Being an osage hound I tracked down the caretaker and told him if they ever cut the tree out of the trail I would like to have it, he gave me an OK.

Now, I need more osage like a need another hole in my head, I have a lifetime supply stockpiled but cringe at the thought of an osage tree going to waste. A few weeks ago they cut the tree out of the trail. I checked with the caretaker again and he said go get it.

I mentioned the tree to my bow making friend Darin and he said he would like to have it.

I directed Darin to the tree, he went after it this morning, he even got some help from some workers on site to help him get the logs out. The logs are from the top, the base, at least 30" in diameter was a twisted mass of unusable wood.

SCORE!

Offline Aaron H

Re: Osage Score!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:24 am »
Nice Eric, there's a whole lot of good bows hiding in there

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:27:15 am »
Nice haul and it's great you saved it from the chipper or burn pile.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:20 am »
Looks like nice stuff!
1’—>1’

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:06 am »
lucky dog!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:11 pm »
Nice work saving some bow wood.  I like the thin sapwood.  Not much work to get to the good stuff inside.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »
That is some nice wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:36:22 pm »
Nice haul

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:11:17 pm »
  Geez you guys are lucky!   My wood "hauls" look like someone was clearing brush and accidentally left a few bigger sticks lying around.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 06:18:52 pm »
I feel ya springbuck--why didn't they plant any osage out here in utah?

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »
That's a bunch of potentially good staves sitting in the back of that truck. Nice catch Eric, glad you could save those logs.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:47:50 pm »
Yeah, Jeff.  There are a few, but very few, and I've never been able to get permission to cut it.  I'd be shocked if there are 200 osage trees in the whole state.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 07:02:00 pm »
Before I got into bowyery, I lived for a year in Missouri and two in Texas.  I wonder how many opportunities I passed up.  Too late now.  I need to figure where I can go juniper hunting.

At least I found some dogwood for shafts in Provo Canyon.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 10:58:51 pm »
Thanks again Eric, I  came home split up shortest into billets and cut the sap wood off got a couple coats of shellac on back and ends. Holly came out ready to go pick up a few things for our remodel job on the house and reminded me that we had to be ready for the plumber tomorrow. Well I got her to put last coat of shellac on a couple of billets while I finished removing the sapwood,  she left for work I finished up remodeling chores and split the middle size into staves, Planning to take sapwood off tomorrow after she gets home from work and goes to bed, Hopefully then I'll get on that  last log. Great to have some osage curing.

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:00 pm »
Ooooooo,  rub it in, rub it in, we got none in Canadoo.  :P
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell