Author Topic: Advice how to preparea raw hide from deer  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Lumberman

Re: Advice how to preparea raw hide from deer
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 09:21:00 am »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 08:53:47 pm »
Threads like this are so commendable. :o I learn so much :)
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and time.
Not to mention the details concerning the birds and the bees/ wives. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 04:39:48 am »
Here is the tool I use for dry scrapping.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline freke

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 05:14:24 am »
Many thanks for the pics Pappy - I think I understand better now:)
A tool like that I should be possible to find or make:) - and I will learne the process once I work with it.

/Jonas

Offline freke

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 05:02:09 pm »
Couple of weeks later:), the hide was stringed up in a frame and fleshed and after some relay nice days dry it is ready to be de-haired.

I add a picture from the very first attempt, I did some more after and it getting better but I have a few concerns/ question ( before I get to the part I intend use for bow building).

I have been working from top and down, it goes really slow - dose it looks right?
The scraper peal of some very thin hide layer, like white powder make the hide feel smooth - is it right?
Then I have make some thin cuts, see red arrows, I have worked some more on the technique so I hope less of those but how bad is it? is it OK to smooth en them out later?

Cheers,
Jonas

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 07:54:32 am »
Me personally after I flesh my hides I use hard 1/2 gal of hard ash and 5 gal of water soak for 2 days. Take out out the wind to my back then on my fleshing beam I have a oak board strip I've made and I just push it across the hair and it just falls off. Luckily I have a nice creek by my house and I do my work and wash it down there. Then I put it in my stretching frame

Offline freke

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 11:03:01 am »
Me personally after I flesh my hides I use hard 1/2 gal of hard ash and 5 gal of water soak for 2 days. Take out out the wind to my back then on my fleshing beam I have a oak board strip I've made and I just push it across the hair and it just falls off. Luckily I have a nice creek by my house and I do my work and wash it down there. Then I put it in my stretching frame
Well I was in the cross-road between a wet work with ash/water (I will write down your receipt for later), or dry scraping - I chose the second road and so far it works well and no more scratches/cut althrough the surface is still pealing of white dust.