Author Topic: Mead Longbows  (Read 24856 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Mead Longbows
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 07:56:31 pm »
Those bows intrigued me also. But im to cheap to buy the kit so I just ordered the book.
Steve Bennett

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 10:18:41 am »
Heathen, huh?  I been called worse.

By my mother.

And she meant it.

In my circles heathen is a compliment, but I went with the joke, lol.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »
I talked to Dave on the phone the other day for quite some time. He is a super nice guy and I think he has come up with some different when it comes to his bows. That's all I'm going to say,  I'll let the book and JW's new bow speak for themselves.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 04:10:56 pm »
What a kick in the pants!

This kit took me a whopping 3+ hours to assemble and have shooting*.  Plenty of crude toolmarks that anyone posting in here can handle in their sleep, but the fitting of the 5 pieces was a cakewalk.  I shot it a little that first day and broke two of the three arrows!  Ha!  One was a cedar arrow and anyone that knows me knows my poor opinion of the suitability of Port Orford cedar for arrows.  But one was a Sitka spruce shaft that was maybe a little to heavy a spine and it was wagging the dog pretty hard coming off the bow.  I was standing pretty close to the target and the whipsaw effect cause the arrow to snap on impact. 

I gotta get off my duff and find my chronograph.  I really wanna find out what this sucker is doing for performance!  But right now, I would not worry about carrying this bow for any big game in North America, it's a shooter!

*And I took a lot of time setting up lighting and cameras.  I photodocumented and shot video of much of it.  If I just went at it, this would take less than 2 hours total!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 04:40:41 pm »
I see no picture of a bow JW .....so this is all jibberish in my opinion! >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 04:48:03 pm »
Watch upcoming issues of a certain little magazine some of us like to read in our spare time!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 04:53:43 pm »
Really!!!! Well look at you!!  Can't wait to see it!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
Really!!!! Well look at you!!  Can't wait to see it!

Well, that is to say, I hope they will publish what I am sending to them.

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 06:59:04 pm »
I hope they print it as well JW, some new blood would be refreshing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »
Thats cool JW! I knew you would love it! I watched the video of Dave shooting you're bow. He was hitting numbers from 222 to 190fps. He even broke an arrow that he was shooting as well.
Do you think we could get a sneak peek from your photo shoot JW?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Adam

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 08:34:49 am »
No pictures?! Hey, what gives? You're usually the advocate for those of us who can't read and need pictures! Seriously though, you've got me pretty interested.

Offline Dmead

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 11:56:37 pm »
Hey guys, this is Dave..the guy that makes these bows. This is my first time on a forum and hopefully I didn't mess up on my first time posting.  I saw this and wanted to Thank everyone for the interest, support,  and kind words. I really appreciate it. Special Thanks to Patrick and Mr Halverson.  Patrick I met you at the last Classic and hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your kind words.  And JW as they call you, we are connected now through your bow. I hope to meet you some day soon as well. I really like your writing style (brutally honest yet hilarious) and i am honored to have made you a bow and would be very honored if infact you are putting together an article. Very cool! From what I have seen/read this forum is an amazing source of info and I hope maybe one day I can add to that. I wish I joined sooner, better late than never!

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 12:14:11 am »
Welcome to the site Dave, you will find that we are just a big 'ol family here, some good some grumpy and even that crazy uncle that thknks he knows everything😜 I've talked with jw about your bow a bit and he is impressed, post away!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dmead

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 12:38:54 am »
Thanks bubby!
Sounds great..a lot like my fam actually. . I should fit in just fine. I look forward to it.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 09:45:59 am »
Welcome to the Forum Dave. I'd read that page on your bows in PA and will be looking forward to JW's article as well.
You should think about coming to Mojam to show your wares. Plus it is sort of a "right of passage" here...  ;)