Author Topic: Osage shorties  (Read 3824 times)

Offline okie64

Osage shorties
« on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:25 pm »
Been a while since I posted any bows so here's a couple I recently finished up. The lefty is for my daughter, 52" long and 30lbs at 24". It was a longer bow to start with but developed a laminar crack in the early wood between a couple growth rings. I had to cut 6" off each end to get rid of it. I chased it down to the transition layer from sapwood to heartwood so the back has a mixed color to it.

The copperhead backed bow was just to get rid of a couple short skins that I would have never used for anything else. It is 36" long and pulls around 50lbs at 18". It will be more of a wall hanger than anything else I suppose.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage shorties
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:20:24 pm »
Nice. Short but sweet!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »
I love that copper head one, I would shoot it at a deer,, :)   

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:08:38 pm »
50#@18"..anything inside the yards is pushing up daisies!  Both nice looking sticks!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 04:03:36 am »
Love the copper head sweet bow !  Beautiful !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 04:05:39 am »
Woo, very stylish.
I'm not usually a great fan of fancy shaped grips, but that one looks really good and suits the bow :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 08:16:14 am »
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. It means a lot to get compliments from fine bowyers such as yourselves. Here's a couple more pics, I never get tired of examining the beauty of Osage.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:43:27 am »
Awesome work okie64!  I agree with you - that yellow wood is something special. ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline ajooter

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:03:49 am »
Inside 5 yards I meant...love the way the growth rings feather out!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 09:19:53 am »
Nicely done Sir!  Both times.  Josh

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 10:45:23 am »
the Daughter is one lucky gal!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 12:20:03 pm »
  Why such a short window. There more than enough wood to open up your sight window. Make it look better. Way easy er and better (aiming) seeing your target. And you could really make your bow lighter to shorten and trim down handle. Then rasp it down to a simi recurver handle.

Also it looks to be pass center shot. If it is just build out your shelf with leather. Past center shot really affects your arrow spline. Built out to center shot you can use traditional spline.

Your wood works looks great you just need to refine it here and there. Your bows will not only look better your bows will be lighter in the hand, have better cast and speed. If you'd lighten your tips a tad you'll increase the bows speed a bit.

Not trying to rain on your party. Just telling it like I see it. You've got what it takes to be a bowyer you just need few words of incoragement.  Like I said you just need to refine your bow work a little, do this it your bows will not only look better it'll preform better.

LOVE THOSE COPPER HEAD SKINS. MY FAVORET SKINS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ajooter

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 04:01:15 pm »
I disagree with you crooketarrow...on many counts.

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 04:12:14 pm »
Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Crooketarrow, The sight window is plenty big enough. She shoots with her bow arm canted anyway so she really doesn't need a sight window at all but that's just how I built that bow. Also, I could care less if you think I have what it takes to be a bowyer. Ive built 60 bows or so and I build them for myself and others for fun, not to make a living or some title like "master bowyer". I hope this isn't too harsh but you should really look into spell check buddy.