Author Topic: Moisture meter  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Lumberman

Re: Moisture meter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 11:02:53 am »
I feel ya man, I have to make effort to keep the bulk of it from leaving too quickly, once you are down past 20 though it becomes tricky, obviously varying with species of tree. Although.. You are using a surface moisture meter so breathing heavily on it probably changes the apparent mc

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 11:45:15 am »
if you are roughing out a stave you have access to wood under the surface,, sometimes cutting off a belly cut etc, you can get a good idea what the wood is going inside, when I lived in Tenn and Texas, moisture content was difficult to manage, the moisture meter helped, I live in New Mexico now,, I hardly ever use the meter,, unless I am curious about that state a new stave is in,, I am not advocating using one,, many bows for 1000,s of years made with out one,,,, i found it useful in the humid climates,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:22 pm »
   I quit using my moisture meter. I have to make bows from green staves a lot more often than I really care to. I usually rough them out green then let them air dry for a couple of months and then put them in a hot car for several days before I really start bending. If the bow has a lot of mass weight but a relativley low draw weight compared to its mass it is a good indicator that moisture is high. If I have a bow close to target mass weight and the draw weight is where I want it at that stage I feel like I am good to go.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »
Steve do you ever have problems with your staves checking when you put them in a hot car?

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »
Aaron, I don't have problems with osage. Woods like Elm, plum and quite a few others I slow dry over a longer period. With osage I usually rough it out once the stave has set for about 2 months. From that point on I have not had trouble with checking. I only use the hot car when I am down abut 12% or so I am guessing. The roughed out stave has usually sat in my house for about 2 months by that time.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »
I think it depends on what wood you are using. for osage, yeah, it might not be necessary to have a meter but I work with hickory a lot and for me, its a necessity. using a scale means nothing for hickory. its weight loss could stabilize and the wood will still be at 12% which is way to high for hickory. Hickory needs to be under %8 preferably 6% and in my opinion, you need a meter for that. I have had guys tell me they could tell by listening to the 'ping' sound when they drop it on concrete...maybe with osage but not with hickory. I've had hickory bow blanks sit outside my box for a day and gain %6 moisture reading. you wouldn't be able to tell that from a kitchen scale. But like I said earlier this is for hickory and not for all bow woods.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 01:59:53 pm »
  Thats one of the reasons I quit working with hickory, I have a similar issue but not as bad with elm. I don't like to have to worry about maintaining a RH, If I lived in a drier climate I would likley use hickory a lot more often.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:59 pm »
You guys are just stubborn. :)

I don't have trouble with any wood as long as I have my trusty not so dusty moisture meter.

I just keep using to several inches before full draw.

You can't beat it.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline freke

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 07:37:32 am »
Build a box and put a lightbulb in it but be careful if you try to dry too fast it'll check. The moisture can only move through the wood so fast and each wood is different. You would be better off using this time to collect wood. By the time you have a stave ready to work you will have a stockpile of wood that is drying faster than you're using it. Then the drying time is a non-issue. Getting past the first few is tough. My first ones took too much set because they weren't dry. I just looked in my warm box yesterday and there are at least ten staves in there ready to go. All I have to do now is collect a new stave for every bow I make and I will always have a stave ready to go. I also have a few extra for giving to people that can't wait to get going :) :)

What temps do you have in the box, have u any fans ?

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »
My box is in my one of my workbenches. The box on the end(picture) is a heating tube with a 4" computer fan between the two(Black arrow).  There is a 300 watt incandescent bulb in the tube(Red arrow). The bulb and fan are controlled by a humidistat set at 50-55% RH. I also have an old waterbed heater in the bottom of the box to make sure the temp stays around 70 degrees. It's not a hot box it's a warm box. I keep about 10-15 staves in it to make sure that I always have a stave ready.

Excuse the wiring :-[

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 01:24:30 pm »
  What is the gadget with the little white roller on top??

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 02:30:58 pm »
Nice!

Offline freke

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 04:23:14 pm »
My box is in my one of my workbenches. The box on the end(picture) is a heating tube with a 4" computer fan between the two(Black arrow).  There is a 300 watt incandescent bulb in the tube(Red arrow). The bulb and fan are controlled by a humidistat set at 50-55% RH. I also have an old waterbed heater in the bottom of the box to make sure the temp stays around 70 degrees. It's not a hot box it's a warm box. I keep about 10-15 staves in it to make sure that I always have a stave ready.

Excuse the wiring :-[

Realy nice build, need some like it as my storage is too damp:(. Have u tried without any heating, using only gentle breeze?
/Jonas

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 09:04:59 pm »
Badger, that's half of my recurve stringer(the other half is the same :D). I got tired of fighting with a bracing string when tillering the ends of a recurve. This gadjet makes it easy(er).

Freke A gentle breeze would speed the drying a bit but it wouldn't lower the RH. So the EMC wouldn't be any different than if you just stood the stave in the corner. If your spot is too moist you need the heat to lower the RH. 70 degrees@ 50-55RH will give you roughly 10% MC. With no heat around here (average RH 70-100%) the best I could hope for would be 13-14% MC. A recipe for set. I store my staves outside, under cover and open to the wind for minimum 6 months for yew and maple and the like and a year for Ocean Spray. Then I put a selected few in the box and start weighing daily. Even when the weight stabilizes they should stay in there for a couple of weeks. When they have "stabilized" I can still see the weight go up and down daily as the RH changes. Going from a nice couple of days to rain a 600 gram stave will change 5-10 grams. This is with a $10(on sale) kitchen scale. Canadian Tire if you're a Canuck. All this time waiting becomes a non-issue once you get a store of wood built up.

Offline bow101

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:42 pm »
   I quit using my moisture meter. I have to make bows from green staves a lot more often than I really care to. I usually rough them out green then let them air dry for a couple of months and then put them in a hot car for several days before I really start bending. If the bow has a lot of mass weight but a relativley low draw weight compared to its mass it is a good indicator that moisture is high. If I have a bow close to target mass weight and the draw weight is where I want it at that stage I feel like I am good to go.

I have cut thousands of board feet of wood, sanded it, planed it, drilled it what have you.  When I feel that a piece of wood it is ready to work I cut a chunk off and roll the sawdust between my fingers, if it makes nasty clumps its to damp.  Its works for me.  :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell