Author Topic: Oops!!! Will this burnt Osage survive?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline make-n-break

Oops!!! Will this burnt Osage survive?
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »
Well. It had some twist for the last 1/3 of one limb past a knot. So, I put it over a pot to steam while I went outside to mow. I set the timer for one hour. Two and a half hours later upon walking in to get a drink of water I realized I had a red hot, empty glass pot and a smoking, charred piece of Osage! Crap!

So, it's obviously been exposed to dry heat long enough to char it black. I decided to take the twist out anyway (at least it's gonna be straight when it breaks) and it caused some growth ring separation on the edge. I could hear them popping apart. It's minor, nothing superglue can't fill, but I'm wondering if I damaged the wood by getting it that hot for that long.

It's a 53" stage with nice thick 1/8" late wood rings. Opinions?
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Oops!!! Will this burnt Osage survive?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:53:16 pm »
I nearly burnt my house down forgetting about a pot that ran dry.
Hard to say how bad that is in the photos, but de-laminating Osage is never good.
The wood looks quite thick too, you will get much better results with bending wood if it's closer to bow dimensions

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:57:47 pm »
give it a try,, just go a bit lighter on your draw weight,, so you can take more of the burn off, ,I think it will work,, ,,, only one way to find out,, :) one of my best bows ever I nearly burned the tip off,,,

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:47:53 pm »
If it were mine I would be more concerned with the delamination, I guess the big question is was the stave going to do that regardless of the heat? It looks as though the hot spot was limited to the belly? Normally I wouldn't be too worries about some charring on the belly.

Am I understanding correctly the stave is 53" long?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 08:44:24 am »
I did that once, the wood turned out incredibly brittle and fretted across the back when I tried to tiller it. I didn't give the wood time to rehydrate so that probably caused the fretting.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:44 am »
It's not real far off from bow dimensions wizard. The profile is done and it's 1/2 inches thick. Does look exceptionally thick in the photos for some reason.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's forgotten about the pot.

Bluegill it is 53" long.

I'll give it some time to rehydrate. Got too many irons in the fire to bend today anyway.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:53:38 am »
I'd fill the de-lams with super glue and start reducing the limbs. A lot of the scorching will probably be remover as you reduce the belly and round off the edges. I'd also wait a good while for the wood to rehydrate before stressing the bow. It may work, it may not but you won't know til you try.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:38:51 pm »
Those splits are from drying wood that is too wet, probably what happened when it ran out of water.  I've had that happen to me before, not for the same reasons, and it's not a problem.  Do as Pat says and you are good to go
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
Are you still allowed in the kitchen >:D

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:10:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I'll fill them with glue and proceed as I would after a nice rehydration.

DC - she wasn't mad about nearly burning the house down, only that there were deep yellow stains all over the counters from the moisture dripping off the wood. I'm gonna have to use the kitchen in the doghouse for a little while ;)