Author Topic: Fire arrows  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Fire arrows
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »
I have been asked about shooting a flaming arrow at an event coming up. Any ideas how to make one? I plan on shooting a good flaming stick out over a lake, so it needs to burn really well. Thanks!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline make-n-break

Re: Fire arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »
If using man made materials, wrap a copious amount of cotton cloth (1" wide, long strips) around the end of the shaft. Make it look like a mini torch. Soak it in kerosine or lighter fluid. Make sure it's soaked in deep, not just wetted. Light and fire

If using natural materials, just put a big wad of pine sap on the end of the shaft and light it on fire. No cloth needed.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:26:06 am »
I never tried but they did it on a TV show once. Tried homemade crossbow 1st was to fast flame would go out. Had to use slower bow to keep flame from blowing out
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:07:17 pm »

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:35:57 pm »
Gunpowder(black powder) is saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal. So these are basically low grade gunpowder tips. They will burn without air so take care using them.

Offline phyankord

• like to do work with my hands more than my mind.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:13:36 am »
uhh last time i checked gunpowder needs air to operate..... am i wrong??

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:29:56 am »
Yes, salpetre provides the oxygen. If black powder needed air how would it burn in a gun or cannon?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:39:13 am »
I've made them and it's not as easy as you might think. First issue, if not securely bound the arrow will fly right through your cloth and a ball of flaming solvent will fall at your feet. Second issue, the wind speed will extinguish the fire like blowing out a tiki torch. Last issue, the end of the arrow is on fire which make shooting it a dangerous challenge.

The one I made was out of a boo shaft, so I did a four way split at the end taking care of issue number one. To keep it from going out, I made the core from 6 sparklers wrapped in gauze that had been soaked in a mix of sugar and potassium nitrite dissolved in water and allowed to dry. This is basically how cannon fuse is made. The outer wrapping was cotton cloth with thin wire wrapping to keep it together. I soaked it in lamp oil so it didn't go "whooosh" but had a more controlled ignition. Lastly, you'll want to wear a grill glove on your bow hand. Come to full draw and have a buddy light it. I left one of my sparklers sticking out a few inches so I had a second to gain my composure before total ignition. This arrow will burn for several minutes, so hit what you're aiming at or be ready to put out the fire now engulfing your unintended target. Bring an extinguisher just to be safe.

It's always a good idea to test things ahead of time with out a crowd around. There were several good tutorials out there. My arrow was a mix of some of the better designs.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 04:37:33 am »
Last issue, the end of the arrow is on fire which make shooting it a dangerous challenge.

So... you could make the arrow 4-5" longer than full draw?

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 07:41:19 pm »
Great, thanks for all the information! I certainly plan on making several of these to try out before I fling the money shot! Great idea on the grill glove too!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:01 am »
In period they actually used a special arrowhead for fire arrows:

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 09:17:50 pm »
I did make them about 5" longer. The actual arrow head was also about that long.

That twisted split shaft point above is a good design. I'd probably wrap around it with wire after packing in your combustibles.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna