Author Topic: Loooong Elm Static Recurve  (Read 3335 times)

Offline k-hat

Loooong Elm Static Recurve
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:45:47 pm »
Haven't posted much these days.  Figured I'd share this one, I kinda like her.  I started out thinking she was elm (cut last summer), but I'm thinking she could be gum.  At any rate, she has nice thick rings and stained very pretty with a new cognac stain I tried this time.  She fought me the whole way with sideways bends and twists, and some natural deflex in various spots.  I finally got her straight enough to say done (you'll notice there's still a bit of a deflex area on the upper limb... it's not set).  She shoots sweet and is surprisingly fast when I get a good draw and clean release.  Cowhide with hair still on for the arrow pass, horn overlays on the tips from ol' Pearlie (Water buffalo I think they were?  Thanks bro!), shoot off the knuckle with a simple leather grip, indexed for hand placement.  Profile is somewhere between pyramidal and parallel ???, somewhat after a concave type profile I've seen on Marc's bows and a few others, just tryna work with the wood that I had available after shaving away the worthless wood.  I trapped her instead of tempering this time, though I wonder now if I shoulda put the heat on.  Anyway, the recipient is tall and lanky and I expected him to have a long draw, so I made her for up to a 30" draw.  Turns out he only draws about 26" at the moment  :o (he's very green, it'll increase as he gets into it).  She's snappy even at the short draw.  Ok, nuff talk, stats then pics:

Static recurve 69" ntn
45#@30"

Thanks for lookin' y'all  :)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Loooong Elm Static Recurve
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:01:23 am »
she's a beaut!!
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 07:18:00 am »
That's a nice bow Kevin. Just wait until he draws it out to 30" and you really get to see what 69" of bow will do.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 08:21:02 am »
Nice looking bow!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 08:45:01 am »
Thanks guys.  Pearl i got'r out to 30" several times (pulling to my ear) and even though they didnt fly well the mismatched arrows zipped and had serious penetration.  Thought I was just making a target bow for the recipient but I told him she'll definitely hunt!  Thanks again for the horn, I look forward to using more of it!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:02:26 am by k-hat »

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 09:06:31 am »
Very nice! I liked your description, too.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 10:30:20 am »
That is sweet. Nice work.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 11:31:39 am »
Beautiful finish work. Good looking weapon!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 11:43:17 am »
That is a great looking bow.  I may have to copy your dimensions.  I plan to make a bow for my brother who is also long and lanky.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 11:58:37 am »
Very nice bend and a great looking bow.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »
on the braced pic it seems like the right limb is quite a bit weaker. Are the optics fooling me or what?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 05:18:50 pm »
Thanks for the kind words y'all!
JoachimM.... hard to tell in the pics but the uoper limb is slightly deflexed compared to the lower, plus a bit of positive tiller, plus the midlimb deflex spot.  It messed with me a bit too working through tiller.

Offline rps3

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 07:58:31 pm »
Tips, stain, handle wrap, full draw. I like it all.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:51 am »
Very nice bow

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:15 am »
   Great job on that one. I always wondered about gum. If you verify the species at some point please check back in. Good looking bow.