Author Topic: beginner with black locust  (Read 3500 times)

Offline robbsbass

beginner with black locust
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:38:46 pm »

I sure could use all the help I can get, after trying to read the different books,I'm handicapped fire fighter with a head injury, I'm trying to build my first bow out of black locust. the problem I'm having right now is that I have started to sand it down to get the feathering effect, I was ok until I got about 3/4 way down the bow then no no more grain. Does This mean that I'm going to end up with some sort of snake bow when I'm done. Any help would be appreciated.
live each day the best you can

Offline david w.

Re: beginner with black locust
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 04:37:22 pm »
i am a begginer so i cant help you but i am sorry to hear about your injury

the bow section gets more traffic so maybe a mod can move it there
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:44:57 pm »
It depends a lot on the limb profile.  If your limb tapers from the fades to the tips, there will be no feathering to speak of.  If it has a parallel section you might see a little more.  I tiller it and pay very little attention to the feathering.  Some bows will have none at all.  Have you got the bow floor tillered?  If so start pulling it with a long string. Post some pictures and we can really help you with the tiller.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:56:25 pm »
As long as the back of your bow is one growth ring from tip to tip, the only thing you should be concerned with is that the limbs are bending evenly and together. Sometimes you will have even feathering down the belly, sometimes it will be off to one side or the other.
   Check out Jawge's web site. George knows lots about locust.
Pics will make it easier to determine exactly what you mean.  Sometimes things get lost in the translation. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:47:17 pm »
Also depends on how thick the growth rings are as to how much feathering you'll wind up with on the belly.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:26:54 am »
I just wanted to thank all of you who took the time to answer my questions. Hopefully I will be able to work it out and make a good bow, At least know I know where to come for help.

Thanks again
        Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:37:49 pm »
As Pat said, you're in good shape as long as its bending correctly.  You don't have to pay any attn to the ring feathering. In a beautiful pice of straigt grained wood, they feather out prettily, but not necessarily all the time.   Keep at the hobby, its a good one.  I am nearly legally blind and I manage to turn out a relatively functional bow once in a while.  Black locust is especially dear to be.

Dave

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 09:38:08 pm »
Welcome to the obsession Robb. You wil learn alot here. Some of the best self bow builders in the country are on this site.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God