Author Topic: Iron & Fire  (Read 2747 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Iron & Fire
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:41:05 am »
There is a new show starting next Monday 4/11 on the History channel called Iron and Fire.  It looks like its about metal forging.  The previews show some knife work and some black powder rifles.  I'm sure they will have to add some TV scripting and drama to the show.  I hope they focus on the work and not the drama.  I enjoy watching primitive skills shows on national TV. 

Here is a link.  Just remove the space between the h and ttp in the beginning of the link.   

h ttp://www.history.com/shows/iron-and-fire/videos/iron-and-fire-preview?playlist_slug=iron-and-fire-season-1-preview-list
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Iron & Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:26:11 am »
yea I like watching build shows but like you said they always ruin them with the Drama and arguing I don't need that seems like they could edit it out but they just encourage it. I like that show the "Great Human Race" I think its called on National Geo I'm sure its scripted some but pretty good all-all
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »
I hope they don't edit it so that its not realistic.  On that show Mountain Men the one guy sinew backed a bow late at night and was shooting it the next day.  It was obviously not the same bow.  I hate the fake time restraints to. 

The Forged in Fire show is one of my favorites.  The time frame causes guys to make simple mistakes.  I enjoy seeing what kind of a knife can be made in a few hours.  This year they are using a lot of different materials.  That has made it interesting.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:21:24 pm »
haven't watched much of the tube lately have to remember that one when I cant find anything worth watching on my overpriced satellite TV

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »
yea I like watching build shows but like you said they always ruin them with the Drama and arguing I don't need that seems like they could edit it out but they just encourage it. I like that show the "Great Human Race" I think its called on National Geo I'm sure its scripted some but pretty good all-all

Watching it now and it is real good, great human race.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 07:24:49 pm »
Pssh, hands down best blade smithing show is Forged in Fire. Holy heck is that a good one.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:39:37 am »
I've been enjoying The Human Race on NatGeo. The new one starting today, looks promising - hope they don't muck it up ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:22 am »
I don't get the Nat Geo channel.  What is that show about?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:56:59 am »
I enjoy Forged in Fire, the only thing that bugs me is that as someone who trains in historical european martial arts (HEMA) I find some of the tests ludicrous and arbitrary, but overall it is definitely fun watching them beat steel and try to knock out a serviceable weapon in a short time.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 10:25:33 am »
Human Race is about evolution of human race and their use of tools from pre fire to I'm not sure how far they'll go. 2 people man and woman making tools and showing hunting stagities used and path we spread out from to cover planet. Missed last night but previous show actually had them with domestic animals they had to care for. They have made spears, knifes, Atlatl,bow and arrow not to bad of show all - all

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:18:56 pm »
There is a sneak preview of the Iron and fire show tonight at 11:00