Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 5873 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 08:18:20 am »
When your bow is this short you should try to cut the nocks as close to the tips as possible. You'll gain an extra inch of draw from the same amount of bend. I would definitely do that if you still have enough material at the tips to taper in and get rid of the old grooves and cut new ones.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:46 am »
Pat - thanks for the advice, I should have enough to material as the tips are 3/4. I kept them wide hoping to minimize set. I could probably start my taper a little earlier and go to 1/2. Do you have any pictures of what you're talking about? Should I just cut in the same side nock I already have but higher up? What distance from the tip should it be?

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:14 am »
The only potential problem would be that my upper tip is already bending too much. Would higher and narrower nocks make that problem worse?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 08:38:55 pm »
As long as you don't reduce the depth you shouldn't make the tip much weaker.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 08:57:41 am »
Ok I'll see what I can do. Any thoughts on how far from the tip the nock should be?

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
heres another update on my progress... I tried to even out the tiller, and weighed the bow with a bucket and some weights. It's 40lb at 12" (I didn't have the nerve to go further) I can pull it back to about 15", haven't been able to get it to 16 yet. Any thoughts on what the draw weight would be there? Also I don't think I can cut new nocks, I've attached a picture. I'll keep the higher nocks in mind for the next one though! Im planning on heat treating the bow and trying to stiffen up the top tip that way. would that work?
Thanks again for all the help, I'm learning a lot!
Dustin

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 04:13:48 pm »
Last question, sorry! I did shoot the bow, need to practice my pinch grip with the higher draw weight... But I noticed the arrow left what look like crystals (they weren't there before I shot it) on he side of the bow where it wrapped around. Is this a problem? What should I do?