Author Topic: Copper celt and adze - mound builder style  (Read 7238 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Copper celt and adze - mound builder style
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 11:32:06 pm »
 >:D >:D >:D That tree was not suitable for a bow.  However, it will be used for something.  Cutting it down was simply a test run for the mound builder bow.   ;)  more to come on that later. . .

Offline don't cry wolf

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 12:28:40 am »
AMAZING WORK!!! been wanting do one of these myself for a while now... just beautiful fellas

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:54 pm »
Life gets busy and that is when I cut time from hobbies.  Not the best for recharging one's spirit but necessary at times.  I have picked back up with my copper project and am wokring on the last ax/celt.  The flared bit is coming along.  Below are the four tools I have so far.  I have an ash tree marked for bow making.  I plan to work it over in spring when the sap is flowing and I can pop the bark off easily. 

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 12:40:49 am »
You do great wok Swampy! When you gonna come west and teach me a thing or two?

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:07 pm »
I found my Otzi axe copy to be mostly unsuitable for tree chopping due to tiny bit size, how large are yours to be effective?

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 05:57:01 pm »
EdwardS:

the large celt blade is 7" long, 2 1/2 " across the blade and is over 1/4" thick uniformly across the blade.  I got the measurements form papers describing North American artifacts of copper.  I can supply the source if you are interested. 

Yosemite Ben:  I need to PM you and ask about where to go/stay etc. for trip out west some day.  I would love to see your park and learn from you about resource use out there.

thanks for looking guys.