Author Topic: Flemish twist string loop padding  (Read 2558 times)

Offline loon

Flemish twist string loop padding
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:00:16 pm »
Would padding the loops (adding material) of a D-10 flemish twist string with craft store hemp work well? (with roughly equal volume of D-10 and hemp on the loops...)

Pretty sure that D-10 is a lot more slippery, harder and stiffer than hemp.

Planning to use it on a non-contact big ear bow, ~60lbs, requiring somewhat large loops. I think I could just wrap some sinew at the base of the loop if twisting could be a problem or something.

Or, alternatively... does anyone use D-10 or D-97 reverse twisted strings, but not flemish loop, just knotted? What knot do you use? It better be a good knot since this polyethylene is so damn slippery.

Thanks for your time..  :o

Offline Badger

Re: Flemish twist string loop padding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:09:04 pm »
  I prefer to make all my strings flemish with a double loop. I never pad the loops but I admit there have been times I wished I had, not very often but I have split a few limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:13:25 pm »
I only pad the loops on heavy bows anymore, most of mine have horn overlays or osage though, d-97 flemish twist double loops they are so easy to make i hardly use a tiller string i try to go to brace from floor tiller so i just make a string when i get that far
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 11:29:41 pm »
I use D-97 and Fast Flight for my strings.  I make them double loop.  If I make a thin string I'll pad the loops with a few extra strands of whatever material I made the string from. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 11:46:36 pm »
Would this double loop knot hold with d97/d10? 12 strands, 60 pounds.. apparently the answer is yes. putting stopper knots at the ends of the double loop should be enough to avoid it from blowing up...

guess i'll pad the double loop with hemp if it looks better than just brown. kinda wish I had gotten tan. Dunno.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:39:05 am by loon »