Author Topic: Tiller Check for a Newbie  (Read 10173 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Re: Tiller Check for a Newbie
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 10:34:47 am »
Looks great to me. Now go out and kill something with it and have a good meal.  :o)
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 10:50:18 am »
Welcome to PA Nance. Your first bow looks real good.  8)   You might be able to increase the weight a little by reflexing the tips a bit and maybe tempering the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:13 am »
Nice 1st bow Nancy my 1st didn't survive tiler 2nd wasn't tilerd that good it does seam to bend a bit much off the handle but really nice 1st bow.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:42 pm »
Just seal the ends.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 06:11:24 pm »
Well now I want to make a Hazel bow!  I think I'd feel conflicted about removing branches from a Hazel, since I love their nuts. 

That bow looks great, and you're right about the color, it looks almost creamy.   

Offline Nance

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 01:17:38 am »
Well now I want to make a Hazel bow!  I think I'd feel conflicted about removing branches from a Hazel, since I love their nuts. 

That bow looks great, and you're right about the color, it looks almost creamy.

Don't worry about the shrubs. Some have more than 30 branches so losing one isn't going to influence nut capacity haha. After all I make up for that by being nuts.

From a single shrub you can take 2-3 good staves if you are lucky. Some of those will still be to small. Mark them and leave them a few years. The rest is either to bent or too twisted to be of any use. You can train some of the smaller saplings. Tie them to a straight pole and keep retying them until they are big enough to use. Like bonsai but bigger.

These were found in the middle of the ticket so they grew straight up towards the light. Not twisted like those at the edge of it.

Thanks for your compliments guys!

So removing the bark and then sealing the ends would do to dry it properly? The end sealing is to keep the branch from splitting right? Any work done along the length, like removing belly wood, can safely be done before drying?

Offline loon

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 01:39:04 am »
Nice, branch bows! Looking forward to seeing your next ones
Better than cutting down an entire tree? :p

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 02:45:11 am »
If you debark it, I would seal the entire stave, not just the ends. It will dry a bit slower, but without checks and cracks.
If you use water soluble wood glue you can wipe it off later with a wet rag.
Leaving the bark on and then forgetting the stave (you'll soon be collecting dozens) is a recipe for bug damage. Them borers love hazel and lay their eggs on the bark, but not on wood glue

Offline chamookman

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 04:28:52 am »
Great 1st Bow Nance - Welcome to the site ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.