Author Topic: northern catalpa selfbow  (Read 15062 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: northern catalpa selfbow
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:33 pm »
Driver that's a carving wood... >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline RLimerick

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 08:29:42 am »
Nice white wood long bow!  I've been working with white woods for about a year now.  Nothing like a good belly toasting to make it albino osage!  Great looking bow, especially the grip. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 08:41:59 pm »
Driver that's a carving wood... >:D

I know...I was all out of balsa staves so I had to make do with this inferior stuff.  ;) >:D
Thanks Carson!
Thanks Rlimerick!  I don't know how this stuff would react to heat tempering, but I'd be willing to bet albino Osage would not be used to describe the result. ;)  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 01:30:44 pm »
The Master of Non-bow Woods!

Hey, next time you are passing thru, will you spend a little time helping me with the tiller on this Christmas Tree bowstave I am working on?  There was a guy posting a how-to series of videos, but inexplicably he does not finish the series!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
Quote from: JW_Halverson link=topic=56427.msg77919 O:)3#msg779193 date=1461426092
The Master of Non-bow Woods!

Hey, next time you are passing thru, will you spend a little time helping me with the tiller on this Christmas Tree bowstave I am working on?  There was a guy posting a how-to series of videos, but inexplicably he does not finish the series!

ROFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D.  Good one!  Sure thing JW!  Just make sure you don't accidentally shut the stave in a door before I get there! >:D. Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 01:29:20 am »
For those who are interested, the catalpa bow did not fare well.  I had put around100 arrows through it before the classic and it was showing no damage.  My first morning at twin oaks I meandered down to the practice range and proceeded to put another 100 arrows or so through it.  At this point the lower started showing frets in about a six inch section, but it was still shooting good.  After 4 or 5 trips around the practice course the upper limb had frets matching the lower limb, it was still shooting pretty decent at this point.  After a couple full course runs the limbs were fretted pretty much tip to tip and the drop in performance and draw weight was noticeable, but not extreme.  One more run through the course Saturday and the limbs started taking some serious set, cast was getting sluggish and those chrysals were getting big!  Draw weight  was probably less than 35# at this point.  Sunday morning made one more run on half the course.  draw weight and cast are plummeting with each shot.  By the last few targets the arrow was dropping 3 feet or more at 20 yds and the draw weight was under 25# at a guess.  When we got back to the bow shop I took the string off and laid the bow to rest on the firewood pile.  Even though this one failed rather quickly, I haven't given up on the wood.  I'm on the scout for a bigger catalpa tree so I can get more width and try it again.  Thanks for following along!  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2016, 05:42:08 am »
I hate that she didn't last.  It sure was a fine looking bow.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2016, 09:44:28 am »
Yep Josh bet you'll have success from a stave from a big tree with a very flat back.I've noticed myself bows especially with whitewoods fairing better with a dead pan flat back.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 10:37:43 am »
Good for you for putting forth the effort into this bow. Live and learn

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2016, 12:45:41 pm »
Poor thing gave her life to teach us all a lesson.  I am glad you were there with her all the way to the end.   :'(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.