Author Topic: My life as a Bowyer wannabe... a very short story!  (Read 7795 times)

Offline slybynight

My life as a Bowyer wannabe... a very short story!
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:41:08 pm »
Hi guys.  first post and glad to be amongst you all.  About 2 months ago my eldest expressed an interest,  and trying to be a good dad... I sugested we make one.  Zero experience.  Zero research!  Mistake 1.  A length of Hazel was selected with about 2 inch diameter and a natural slight bend.... cos thats what shape bows should be right (duurrr).   Mistake 2.  A jigsaw was run down the length of the bow to produce 2 arms and risers to a handle about 7" long.  The bark was scraped off and the arms cut to shape with little regard for natural grain.  A tillering stick and pulley mechanism was built,  and belly rasping begun.  So here's  where im at.  Despite making every mistake in the book I have ended up with something that doesnt look too bad and has thus far survived tillering.  It is,  quite honestly awfull,  but ai have invested hours in it and as long as it holds together  would like to continue to a point where it flings a stick a few yards so the lad thinks Dad's not a complete numpty and I can learn from my mistakes as yet unmade!  ... Ive even removed some wood from the back of the bow on a bulging bit (DOH)  but surprisingly that bit is still holding up OK.  Ive gone for a flat cross section (belly),  but because of the small diameter of the stave,  it has ended up rather "D" shaped.  So.. on to my questions....  I am struggling to get the brace height to anything reasonable... currently about 1.5".  after struggling to brace it (leg through)  it actually adopted quite a worrying set (been cut and left in a garage for about 2 months).  I bent it back straight again,  but am a bit worried I have damaged the wood.  A bit of reading round here seems to suggest heat treating the belly?  can I do this at this stage?  Its for my 10 yr old (its a few inches taller than him).  I can pull it to his draw,  but he cant.  Id estimate about 50lb.  do I continue sanding to get the weight down?  will the brace height automatically increase with this?  Should I heat treat belly?  before or after further belly removal?  Its actually tillering quite nicely...  no hinges.  Im trying to keep the ends a little meaty because the nocks look so fragile.  Any advice very welcome.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:18:38 pm by slybynight »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: My life as a Bowyer... a very short story!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:58:07 pm »
Well first of all you may want to change the title to Bowyer wanna be  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:48 pm »
Welcome slybynight! Do you have pictures? I'm not sure I can help you, I'm a novice myself but for others who are more experienced it probably help to see it.

Offline slybynight

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:17:12 pm »
Yup.. Fair point Marc St Louis..  half a bow does not a bowyer make!  Will upload Pics asap.

Offline Lucasade

Re: My life as a Bowyer wannabe... a very short story!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:10:38 am »
Del the Cat will probably join in here at some point, but if you have a look at his Bowyer's Diary he's got a LOT of info about making hazel bows, including speed drying the wood.

Offline slybynight

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:19:28 am »
Im going to try ang get some pics before work and upload them later (uk time).  any angles/ detail that will be particularly useful?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 02:46:59 am »
Hi, you've probably just about asked in time to avoid disaster!
1. Build a tiller rig with a scale (you can get cheap baggage scales which go up to 50#) and take pics. Set a target draw weight (I'd suggest no more than 40#) and pull it to that every time UNLESS the bend is uneven or you see a problem.
2. Store it on a warm radiator or near a boiler etc to help it season.
3. Don't worry about natural deflex or set, it will help it to not explode!
4. Build time machine, go back and leave the bark on the back :laugh:
Just google 'bowyers diary' there is plenty about Hazel on there and the search facility works quite well.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:37:02 am »
Unfortunately you have probably made some fatal mistakes so far (smoothing out the hump on the back) but you learn a lot from your first bow!
Your 2nd will be much better :)
So my advice is to go cut another couple of staves now before the sap rises properly. Then order yourself the first volume of the Traditional Bowyers Bible - this book will answer all your questions.
Then get back to work on this one :)
Do I detect a hint of northern in your post?!? I'm in County Durham and could show you the basics if you are anywhere near.

Offline slybynight

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 05:06:34 am »
OK some pics... - Lighter for scale!

closeup of handle and fade..

Closeup of my back shaving boob!

Length of bow has a bit of set - but it was naturally curved this way anyway....

seems to tiller ok though.... so far!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:44:18 am by slybynight »

Offline slybynight

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:26 am »
Del –Many thanks for the feedback -  I’ll try and get it somewhere warmer.  How long should I leave it there for at this stage? – I actually found your blog already – very useful , thanks!  As the photos show, I have left the cambium – apart from the shaved spot ;-(.  I’ll  also buy some baggage scales  what draw weight should a well built 10 year old be looking at to last him a couple of years?

Mike – thank you to you also.  I’ll get a copy of the TBB V1.  I’m thinking I might buy some staves – any supplier recommendations?  I’m a southerner I’m afraid – 4 years in Salford must have left their mark!  Was it use of the word numpty?

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 05:29:23 am »
another bowyer wannabe, haven't gotten farther than you... but I think you should wrap that shaved back part with something?

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 05:35:34 am »
Your first effort looks pretty good to me despite all the crimes against bow making youve committed (I'm a major offender myself also ;)) it may hold up as Hazel can be very forgiving of damage to the back.
I would recommend to keep going with hazel as it's so easy to get hold of, dry and work. It will make a really good bow of handled right.  You can save yourself some money while you're getting to grips with the basics. Welcome aboard! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 05:54:00 am »
I'd think 25# @ 26" would be about right for a 10 yr old and give a fair bit of grow room.. I don't expect he'll draw past 24" at the moment.
I'd treat this one as totally experimental and just keep working on it. But get some more seasoning.
The belly of a bow should go up and down to follow the back (but with some taper) rather than shaving the back... mind there are times when you have to take abit off the back if there are really weird things going on there!
Del

Offline slybynight

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 06:09:55 am »
Thank you all for your comments - I need as much guidance as poss!  How long should I season for?  I think this is called a sapling bow right?  Should I make another of these or go for something with a bigger diameter next?  Do I need to treat the ends with anything while seasoning?  Should I wrap the shaved back? with what?  Should I heat treat the belly?  before of after more seasoning?  Should I do seasoning before or after further shaving?  I was going to cut in a shelf.  How far dare I go?  Any recommendations on string?  HOW MUCH IS TBB!!!!!!  from £45 used!! - I'll not be buying a physical copy of that then,  I haven't got a Kindle - but it would be cheaper to buy one!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:33:31 am by slybynight »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 06:53:08 am »
That can't be right... you only want volume 1. It can't be £45, there are some silly prices... one idiot trying to sell it for £100.
i think the cover price is about £20? I'll chech when I get home.($22.95)
Try here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-traditional-bowyers-bible-volume-1-/401095952749?hash=item5d632e896d:g:rEgAAOSwdU1W97bZ
Del
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:30:49 am by Del the cat »