Author Topic: Need some advice please (pic heavy!)  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Blob

Need some advice please (pic heavy!)
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »
I have an osage stave (1 of 2) that I got from Sidewinder last year when he was giving a bunch away.

It is currently 66" long.  I'm not looking for any specific draw weight, this one is just going to be whatever it ends up at.  I would also like to try to keep it a non bendy handle if possible, but I don't know if there is enough material there to do that.

This is my first bow with any sort of character.

I had taken a couple pics before I cleaned up a ring but they somehow got deleted from my phone.

What I am wondering is if I should cut it off at the 57" mark that is shown in the last photo.  If I do, the other 2 knots will be spaced evenly in the limbs.  If I don't I'll have to try to go between the knots that are close to the end.  I don't know if I can do that successfully. 

Any advice and words of wisdom are appreciated.

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Need some advice please (pic heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:13:52 pm »
I don't see a bad problem
th knot that is at bottom of pic will disappear the other will be left in the limb , leave it full length.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need some advice please (pic heavy!)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:52:05 pm »
I agree. The double knot area can be eliminated. Keep it full length.   I don't think you have enough meat to make a stiff handle bow. I've made a few bows with osage poles and they all bent through the handle. If you want a handle you can build it up with layers of leather or cork that will bend with the bow. You might also be able to do the sane with thin strips of wood of graduating lengths then shaped into a handle riser.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC