Author Topic: Stain=magnaflux...  (Read 1910 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Stain=magnaflux...
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »
I'd been messing with a piece of white wood lately that, via various imperfections, turned into a short plains style bendy (ish) handle bow.
So, after shooting it a bit, checking tiller, lightly toasting the belly and putting 50 arrows through it yesterday I thought it was time to finish . But, whilst applying the stain to the belly lo and behold, the tell tale fret lines appear. :(
Kinda like magnafluxing metal finds the cracks that you can't see.

I guess I need to re-think this one a bit...  :o
Perhaps take it down in draw weight, it's 40#@ 20", and see if that get's the stress re-distributed better.

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Stain=magnaflux...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 05:36:24 pm »
What wood is this one Paul?  Some white woods get surface fractures on the belly, - which are never a good sign - but keep on shooting just fine and never get worse.  My second Black Locust bow did that.  I did take it down in weight as well, but I could still faintly see the frets.  It was only about 38 pounds after adjustment.  It eventually broke a tip, but the fretted spot never broke or got any worse  - - -  that I could see anyway.

I also have a Black Walnut bow that has decided to fret up a bit on the belly, but still seems stable.  With enough abuse I imagine these bows would blow up, but neither has done so yet, (fingerz crossed!).

I've not had it happen yet, but I hear that Hickory sometimes has the same behavior.

OneBow

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:25:32 pm »
It's that short white wood bow that I was shooting a bit at Ojam Eric. The one that we thought might be hickory but also maybe ash.
I'm beginning to think it's half ashed... ;)

How are your eyes doing?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:42:26 pm »
The eyes are better today.  I put my contacts back in this morning for a trial run.

The Half-Ashed bow you're working on there sounds like it would have liked to have been a bit wider and flatter in it's lay out.  Darn mystery woods are hard to know what's gonna work for them.  It sure looked like a piece of hickory to look at the back, ...and a piece of ash to look at the belly and the grain in the wood. <SHRUG!>

OneBow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:54 pm »
Chrysals or frets are caused because that area is bending to much in relation to the rest of the limb. Inevitably, the bow will fold like a book there.

You can retiller by leaving that area alone and removing wood above and below. and retilelring that other limb.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »
Glad the eyes are better Eric.

Yep Jawge it is bending a bit much in that area of both limbs and would have benefited from being wider as well. I thought making it bendy in the handle would compensate, guess not.  :-[
It was an attempt to salvage a bow out of a stave that presented "issues" anyway so add these to the list.  ???
And I am more inclined to think that these staves are ash and not hickory. Or at least this ones being a pain in the ash...  ::)