Author Topic: Tallow-How picky should I be?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline DuBois

Tallow-How picky should I be?
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:24:52 am »
I just got a mama bison full rib cage that had been butchered a week ago and was in a cold area until yesterday. I didn't plan to make tallow and never have before, but there was so much fat on there I didn't want to waste it.

Is this ok being a little past perfectly fresh and also, how perfectly free of blood and tiny bits of sinewy stuff must it be for finish on bows...?

I want to cook it down tomorrow and then mix it with bees wax.

What would you recommend for bow finish?

Thanks,
Marco

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Tallow-How picky should I be?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:08 am »
slightly simmer it in a large cooking pot at low heat (to avoid burning the fat), stir it regularly and after a few hours all the connective tissue will have been reduced to brown scraps at the bottom of the pot and all the water will have evaporated. Sieve this over a small diameter steel mesh and store it in air-tight containers.
If you want to mix it with bees wax, I'd do that in smaller portions and when needed.
How off it can be: don't know. Smell seems a good indicator. wash your hands thoroughly after adding the fat to the pot to avoid unwanted bacteriological contamination. There's some nasty bacteria on rotting meat...

By the way, rib bone makes for very fine arrow passes or raised nocks.

Joachim

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:20 am »
Thanks Joachim,
No bad smell on it.
Do  you use bone on your bows?
Will do like you said and good call on the smaller mixing portions.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:05:09 am »
Joachim pretty much nailed it doob. As for bone on bows, works well and looks good if you do it right. Gadda degrease em good first though.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:11 pm »
By frying the fat, you will end up with a stronger smelling tallow that is darker in color.  The act of frying fat is actually called "trying". 

"Rendering" will give you a less fragrant product that is cleaner and whiter tallow.  Rendering has water in the bottom of the pot and limits the temperature that the fat reaches, preventing scorching.  Put a lid on it and hold just about at a simmer.  Strain out solids and allow to cool, the water and fat will separate, the fat hardening more if it is refrigerated.  What is left over can be "tried" out for projects less in contact with sensitive noses!

The best fat was the kidney fats.  That is the "leaf lard" from hogs and is the best for cooking and making tallow candles, soaps, etc.  The omentum fat of the belly is second best.  And backfat/hip fat is third.  I am hoping to get five or ten pounds of kidney fat for making soap this summer, I have people interested in buffalo soap!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »
Hump ribs !!!!!!!!!
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12