Author Topic: Veins in Osage  (Read 1899 times)

Offline SKansasC

Veins in Osage
« on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »
Do these mineral veins have any effect on the strenth of the wood, or is it a waste to try and make a bow with these? Also what causes the veins?

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Veins in Osage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »
I have no idea, but that sure looks cool.   On the chance that it is good wood alone, I would go for it cause it would look dynamite In a finished and polished bow.  Wanna trade a piece?

Russ

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:53 pm »
It's never a waste to try  :)
Osage is so though it can take a lot of abuse, so why not a few veins that may not even do any harm and look damn good!

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:48:01 pm »
Oh, I'm going to try, just wondering if I should keep my expectations low. ;D
If I have more than this one, I'll definitely trade one if someone wants one.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03:46 pm »
I've only seen it once ......it was a stave that Badly Bent had and it made a beautiful bow and a good performer. I think he called it dream sickle.  but he might see this post and tell the real story.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 07:38:27 pm »
No good, send it my way SKC. ;D ;D ;D

No actually the piece I had like that made a fine bow and didn't seem to be any different than any other good osage that I have worked. I wish I had more of it because it has an unusual and strikingly different and attractive look to it. I'd say make your stave into whatever you would normally make an osage bow into and please post pics when your done.
I'll go into my pic. files and see if I have one of the similar stave/bow I made.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:54:58 pm »
Here's a couple pics of what I got out of the similar looking stave. I hope you get a nice bow from your stave SKC, I think osage with those streaks are few and far between. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 08:09:56 pm »
Thanks Greg......I knew you would be looking in........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 09:02:30 pm »
Thanks for all the info! That's a sweet looking bow! Looks like I might have a couple more off staves from this same tree. They don't seem to be as pronounced as the first one, but I've still got a few to strip yet.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 09:06:53 am »
I have had one of those before, and like Greg said already, I didn't notice any difference between it and any other osage.  Very pretty though

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 09:07:06 am »
My experience with red streaks in osage has been poor. The streaky wood I have used turned out to be weak and prone to failure. Wood from different trees and a different area may be entirely different and not subject to the failures I experienced.