Author Topic: Softening craft leather?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline bushboy

Softening craft leather?
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:32:22 am »
Hey all!bought some craft leather and would like to dye and soften it for bow handle wraps and finger tabs.it's white in colour and. About 1/8" thick.was thinking soaking it in linseed oil?thoughts?thx's!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Softening craft leather?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:49:14 am »
I'd try mink oil bushy. It softens and protects my boots as good as I can ask of it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:08:35 am »
I'm not sure what craft leather is. Is it oak(vegetable) tanned, alum tanned, oil tanned?
 Some leathers can be softened, to some extent, with oil, some by only working it.
 1/8" thick leather seems a bit thick for both finger tabs and handle wraps. IMO but that might depend of the type of leather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 07:19:55 pm »
I dont know if its ok but I used Mineral oil as it is food safe so it wont go rancid. That seemed to loosen up the leather.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell