Author Topic: A hopeful fix  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Lefty8917

A hopeful fix
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:05:21 pm »
I have a 64" osage takedown with serveral issues. 1st, it came in under weight. 2nd, it has 2 nasty little fractures on the belly from when heating in reflex. I was thinking about flattening the belly down until the fractures dissapear. Then applying a lamination from the fade to about 4" from the tip on both limbs. Would this be worth while? and what woods would be a good recomondation for compression.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: A hopeful fix
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:10:35 pm »
It depends on how much you care about it. It probably wouldn't take you a lot more work to start a new bow than to start fixing one, then two and maybe three-four issues. I have several of those "to fix" bows waiting for a belly lamination or something like that. I rather start a new one.
As for good woods: they don't come a lot better in compression than osage... You might try tropical hardwoods like bulletwood, ipe, ...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »
I'd suggest starting another as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:42 pm »
You know....every time I here fix and under weight in the same thought....My personal experience tells me to start another bow. and save this one to a kid or some one else.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:50:16 pm »
Looks like i have a consistent answer. Thanks guys. Ill try to save what i can considering i will be a first time dad in a few weeks. I have some stiff bow compitition though since RPS3 is the grandfather!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:54:53 pm »
Cool....congratulations to you and RPS3...............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 04:50:38 am »
The fact that it's take down suggests you've already put a bunch of work into it which is a shame. But onwards and upwards. All the best to you and your expanding family!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 03:28:08 pm »
Grandpa Bob needs to help out a little more next time! :)

Congrats on the soon to be baby

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline scp

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 03:58:53 pm »
This might the reason they started to glue horn strips on the belly. I don't do laminated bows, but I don't mind doing some primitive composite bow experiments. I would definitely glue on whatever I have.

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 06:51:56 pm »
Maybe I led him astray Chris! This bow did fight him at every step, and he definitely learned a few things on this one. Me too.