Author Topic: Stave wood from my property  (Read 6999 times)

Offline txdm

Re: Stave wood from my property
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 06:12:29 pm »
txdm, that oak log is no good for bow making.  White woods need to be split and kept dry as quick as you can after they are cut.  Fungus and rot set in very fast.  I'm afraid you would be wasting your time if you split that into staves.

Got it, I'll be prompt about splitting the next one. This one will become a post, or smoke wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 08:12:10 pm »
Yes, the deep checks and the discoloration of the end cut show that it has been sitting around for a while. Like Clint said...whitewoods(not osage, locust, yew) need to be taken care of properly right away. It doesn't take fungi long to ruin a piece of whitewood bow wood. It might make good furniture, boxes, knife scales, tip overlays, handle risers or game calls but not bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline txdm

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 09:00:56 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's good to know in advance of the opportunities that will come.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 10:00:18 am »
that mallet and fly box are beatiful !!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 10:13:03 am »
  If you ever get into making backed bows, take some of the darker pink/brown honeylocust heartwood, and pair it with something like ipe, walnut, or black walnut.  So pretty it'll knock your eye out.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 12:28:28 am »
Arborist,
awesome fly box and mallet!  Got me interested in the mesquite.  I have done some boxes with redwood recovered from an old hot tub and am looking for other woods to work.   I will send a pm.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 06:39:59 am »
I also really like the fly box and mallet. Nice work

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:53 am »
i would start with hackberry. it makes a great  bow and loves heat... both dry and wet. i have it all around my area and it has become my favorite wood to work ( next to osage of course ).
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline txdm

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:00 am »
i would start with hackberry. it makes a great  bow and loves heat... both dry and wet. i have it all around my area and it has become my favorite wood to work ( next to osage of course ).

I need to look it up and find out how to ID it... I have lots of wooded area, there's hopefully some.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2017, 10:12:47 am »
Very distinct bark pattern, once you see it you'll never forget it
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »
I never thought about making my own flybox!! Nice work and thanks for the idea...Mr Arborist.