Author Topic: going for broke  (Read 8821 times)

Offline sleek

Re: going for broke
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 11:29:19 am »
Would a 50# coil spring compressed from 12" to 4" recoil faster and with more power than a 2" spring compressed to 1.5" at 50#?

Wouldnt the shorter? Its smaller so it has less area to store the same energy. That makes it have more psi than tje larger spring even though they both have 50#.  Also it being smaller it has less leverage against it so it should expand faster. Right?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:55 am »
Another consideration, on a larger scale but the same theory. War bows. They aren't 85" long because they are heavy, they are 85" long because they chuck a relative heavy arrow with a lot of power.

I always though yew just couldnt handle the long draw and weight without the extra length? I never worked yew so I dont know.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 11:36:28 am »

Reflex is in. Time for stave reduction.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
Nope, its all about the power stroke sleek, the longer spring wins every time. Yew will take almost anything any premium bow wood will.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 11:48:30 am »
So sleek how many arrows is it going to take to be a success? I can't see this bow having a long shelf life
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 11:48:49 am »
   If you go to the flight shoots you will see shorter bows for lighter arrows and longer bows for heavier arrows. You might get a good light arrow bow out of 49" but you won't have much power for heavier arrows. Horn bows are a different matter because they can simply bend more and allow for more reflex. A wood bow would have to be extremely wide and thin to duplicate the bend of a horn bow. The bow limbs would flop around and be very inefficient.

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 11:50:09 am »
Im certain it about the power stroke. No argument there. But isnt the draw length also the power stroke?  Math applies still here. Force times distance. Distance being the draw length and force being the draw weight. Increase eith and you increase power.

What about longer limbs makes for more power, or ability to use the power?

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 11:51:32 am »
So sleek how many arrows is it going to take to be a success? I can't see this bow having a long shelf life

Honest answer? I dont know.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »
Im certain it about the power stroke. No argument there. But isnt the draw length also the power stroke?  Math applies still here. Force times distance. Distance being the draw length and force being the draw weight. Increase eith and you increase power.

What about longer limbs makes for more power, or ability to use the power?

Of course draw length helps, but it doesn't equalize. All things equal a 50 @ 28 will out shoot a 50 @ 25.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »
  Sleek all power strokes are not created equal even if they are the same distance. Longer limbs store more energy, they build slower pounds per inch. Recurves can make up for some of this but only up to a point. If I were you instead of going for 60# I would just go for whatever I could get with an acceptable amount of set. You might wind up at 45# but a good shooter. You might even get your 60# but the point is once you cross a line your bow starts turning to junk.

Offline sleek

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 12:15:29 pm »
Thats actually encouraging badger. Thanks. It tells me I can measure the set and so long as I keep the bow under stressed by using set as a measure tool, I can do it. How much set would be acceptable?

Offline PatM

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:28 pm »
I think you can do it but you need to be way more" Scythian" in your reflex and deflexed areas and also have wider working limbs.
   I would switch your wood type to one that will allow you to achieve those bends more readily.

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:19 pm »
Another question id like to add, ignoring limb width, how thin is to thin per amount of draw weight? At what weight/thickness ratio do things get too floppy? I say too floppy because I am certain all limbs get rubbery on release.

Offline sleek

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 12:22:49 pm »
I think you can do it but you need to be way more" Scythian" in your reflex and deflexed areas and also have wider working limbs.
   I would switch your wood type to one that will allow you to achieve those bends more readily.

Maybe on the next one.but how do you mean more scythian? Stronger more pronounced curves?

Offline sleek

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »

This may cause a problem. Its 8" from the tip and right on the edge.