Author Topic: going for broke  (Read 8831 times)

Offline sleek

Re: going for broke
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 10:11:34 am »
Thanks Aaron.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 10:13:12 am »
I see ok.Thanks.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 10:16:27 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 10:31:20 am »

Since you asked here it is. Real simple. Somewhat effective.  I do like that I can just keep cranking the handle little at a time without over stressing the wood this way.

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 10:32:13 am »
Thats funnyb urufu.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:16 am »
when you get the bow done, if your scared to shoot it, I will shoot it for you!  I'm done having kids, I have a good disability plan through work, and shooting a short bow that strong sounds like a blast!  I'm betting that you have good success and I'm looking forward to seeing that bow.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 10:57:44 am »
Getting power out of the bow is not a problem but short bows like that generally don't do as well in speed with hunting weight arrows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 11:02:24 am »
Thanks mark. Is it because they are all torque and no horsepower?

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 11:04:24 am »
I would defiantly sinew back it. That's what make the incredible short, narrow, steeply reflexed, and very powerful ottoman bows survive
Time is short

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 11:04:31 am »
when you get the bow done, if your scared to shoot it, I will shoot it for you!  I'm done having kids, I have a good disability plan through work, and shooting a short bow that strong sounds like a blast!  I'm betting that you have good success and I'm looking forward to seeing that bow.

Sidmand, im also done having kids but that doesnt mean im willing to risk my boys. Biggest problem for me is I dont draw 28. This could get comical.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 11:06:18 am »
Not enough limb to store enough energy to deliver a 550 grain arrow with the same authority a 64" bow of the same specs will. Hence the reason it MIGHT spit a 300 grain flight arrow a good ways......once :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 11:06:45 am »
I would defiantly sinew back it. That's what make the incredible short, narrow, steeply reflexed, and very powerful ottoman bows survive

Most everyone would sinew back this bow. But a sinew back is not my goal. I want to prove it can ( or cant ) be done self bow style. Sinew would no doubt improve it, especially on string tension.

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 11:09:57 am »
Not enough limb to store enough energy to deliver a 550 grain arrow with the same authority a 64" bow of the same specs will. Hence the reason it MIGHT spit a 300 grain flight arrow a good ways......once :)

Not enough limb..... well, I can see how that works but exactly how is limb measured and how much is enough? Im trying to measure it by amount of set taken to see if its over stressed or not.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 11:12:44 am »
Would a 50# coil spring compressed from 12" to 4" recoil faster and with more power than a 2" spring compressed to 1.5" at 50#?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:24 am »
Another consideration, on a larger scale but the same theory. War bows. They aren't 85" long because they are heavy, they are 85" long because they chuck a relative heavy arrow with a lot of power.