Author Topic: to sinew or not to sinew? That is the question . . .  (Read 1874 times)

Offline smoke

to sinew or not to sinew? That is the question . . .
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:03 am »
I'm working on a hackberry recurve and wonder whether I should apply sinew. The bow is 63 inches long - before recurving; 2 inches wide at the fades and keeps that width for 12 inches then tapers to the tips.  I'd like to bring it in at about 60# at 27 inches. Opinions? 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: to sinew or not to sinew? That is the question . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:37:39 am »
I would narrow it a 3/8" and add 3 courses of sinew. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:03:24 am »
I like to design a bow to be sinewed from the start.  I think your bow is too long for a sinew backed bow drawn to 27".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:30:58 am »
I would agree, Pat. If it wasn't hackberry. A 61" ntn stiff handle hackberry getting 60 @ 27" is under a load and a half, too much for the wood IMO. Not that it wouldn't hold up and shoot, but nothing like a sinew backed bow of the same would.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:05 am »
Yep you'll end up with a lot lower mass limb wise @ 1and3/8" wide.Won't weigh much more than a regular bow after sinew.You got to crown it though and put it more where it will work more.I would'nt even put any sinew on the last 8" if it's a recurve.You'll have to put at least 800 grains on though or about 250 grains per foot at least.Measure thickness of limbs before sinew and after sinew to see if you get at least 1/8" thickness of sinew on there dried hard after 4 weeks.You'll be close then with something on it extra to tiller to.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »
Thanks guys . . . but I'm a tad confused now.  Are you saying that I should narrow the limbs by 3/8" so they are 1 5/8" or reduce from 2' to 1 3/8 inch?  I'll note that the back is very flat at this point . . . in the event that is an important consideration. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:43 pm »
It depends on who's advice you are running with. Nobody is wrong, just different thoughts.

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹