Author Topic: impossible bow  (Read 4209 times)

Offline benjamin

impossible bow
« on: February 22, 2008, 02:05:46 am »
I felt inspired by all the talk on short bows so I grabed a 44'' by 1 1/2'' piece of hickory and finnished it at 30 lbs at 20''. No recurves, no backing. Since it was a test bow anyway, I pulled it further and finnished it at 40 lbs at my usual draw of 25''!!! It only took 2'' of set and the tiller is bad; it bends way too much at mid limb (I rushed it into existance). Did I mention it's unbacked? Can any other wood besides hickory do this? Have any of you experts made other bows like this or is it a sign that I should take up hunting from a blind?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: impossible bow
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:25:57 am »
Thats a lot even for Hickory ,but it is some tough wood.I never made one that short.
I would worry about the string pulling off without the tips turned up at least a little.
Lets see some pictures.I bet they would look awesome bent that much. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:22 am »
Hickory and osage, maybe elm are probably about the only woods that will take that kind of strain. A lot of the NA selfbows were in that length range, but I don't know how far they were drawing them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:25:25 am »
Ipe
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:15:37 pm »
I've made a 43.5" Osage selfbow pulling 50lb@24", and it's got miniature recurves in the ends. I shot a hog with it, too.
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:50:23 am »
 Snakewood.......bob

ozark caveman

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:46:09 am »
Dogwood will take that abuse. Look at this short bow in this link. It's dogwood!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:08:24 pm »
Justin, I've got to try some ipe. Eddie brought me a piece when we went hog hunting awhile back, but I didn't realize he brought it for me until I had already run off and left it there.  >:( OC, you're right- that dogwood is sure tough wood. Dogwood and persimmon are the only woods I've found that will stand up to the abuse of being used as flintknapping billets. I've used dogwood for wooden wedges and beat on them with sledgehammers. Bob, is the Fl snakewood the same stuff that they used to make English longbows from?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 04:54:14 pm »
 Steve..........no. Florida snake wood is American snakewood. There is a European variety that is "considered" the standard. We call one here "Javelin" tree er bush ! hmm....wonder why ? :o I have used some of the european variety, as a matter of fact imo the american variety is superior. Rich Saffold makes violin bows from the wood which reminds me I promised him I would send him a coupla pieces some when I harvested some more. There was a piece under the ole'" Mystery wood " thread I posted. Havent made a bow from this piece yet..........bob

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:19:59 pm »
As I recall Manny did some amazine tests with guava, both backed and unbacked. Corect me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it's about time to put all of our favorite woods to the test. >:D >:D >:D  Anyone else willing to take on a couple experiments?    Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)