Author Topic: First Nocks  (Read 6846 times)

SimonUK

First Nocks
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:16:48 pm »
My first nocks.  They are 5.5 cm long and the hole is 4 cm deep by 14 mm wide at the opening.

How do you get that nice smooth shiney look?  I've sanded them with 80 grit but I guess they need some finer sanding. I don't have a polisher of any kind.

Should I oil them once they are on the bow?  If I oil the bow with linseed oil - can I use that on the nock too?

Thanks. Simon.

Offline medicinewheel

Re: First Nocks
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:40:29 pm »

sand with finer grid, and than with steelwool in the end, would do that after mounting on the bow. oiling them will be no problem.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:50:41 am »
Nice! - that's the way I like them. Functional with no fuss 8)

Looks like potential sidenocks too? :)

SimonUK

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:20:10 am »
Thanks for the advice.

Yes Kviljo I'll try side nocks.  I remember you saying that you shouldn't put the groove too close to the bow end, as the loop can fall off onto the wood.  Do self tightening loops totally solve this problem?  If not, how far up the nock should I cut the groove?

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:16 am »
For the lower notch, this is a bit too low, although it works:
http://kviljo.no/bue/115/7.jpg

But I'd rather put the groove just a little below the senter, like this:
http://kviljo.no/bue/95b.jpg

This works also, and it is very easy to string/unstring:
http://kviljo.no/bue/fix.jpg

The important thing is not to cut the groove above the wood inside the horn.

Offline outcaste

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 06:45:02 pm »
Try using abit of wet 'n' dry paper to finsh off then a bit of oil should be fine.

Alistair

SimonUK

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:22:52 pm »
Thanks guys.

On the subject of oil... is there any truth to the theory that oil reduces the draw weight/performance of a bow?  If it does I'll varnish the bow and oil the nocks.

Offline outcaste

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 01:06:29 pm »
Thanks guys.

On the subject of oil... is there any truth to the theory that oil reduces the draw weight/performance of a bow?  If it does I'll varnish the bow and oil the nocks.

Yes I have heard this but don't know what the science is to back this up? If anyone can explain it would be great. I personally like the finish of traditional finishes such as turpintine/boiled linseed, beeswax, animal fats and such like.

Alistair

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 02:44:26 pm »
HI Simon,

On the horn pieces I've used, I find the best finish is achieved with using fine sandpaper grades (e.g 320-400), then a polishing mop in a drill with a coarse metal polish such as brasso, solvol autosol or similar.  This can also be done with a cloth in the hand if you have the patience   ;)  I then use a fine coat of varnish, cos I'm not always sure that the horn will be impervious to rain etc., but the final finish is for yourself to choose.  Wax might work well.

Cheerz, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »
I'm also getting ready to do my first horn nocks.

Is it common to cut the string groove thru the horn where the limb wood is exposed?

It seems that would defeat the purpose of placing the horn over the sapwood.