Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37792 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2016, 08:03:02 am »
Take it easy Don.....We got sinew, skins, and carving to go yet sir... >:D I have been dreading the wait as well sir
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2016, 07:04:27 pm »
Hey fellas,
     After getting nurse-maided along by Jon W and Oglala Bowyer.....I tried my hand at spreading sinew. So after getting some ready ( glue/ sinew/small bows) I laid down some sinew....here are pics of how that turned out.
    I used back sinew and laid it down from center to tip, then a second layer 4" shorter than the first and overlapped at the center, then a 3rd at the center. I sized the bows first and waited 45min/1 hr then the soaked sinew laid down, then glued over and repeated till done.  After about an hour or so the whole deal was wrapped with cotton bandages in both directions, left for about 3-4 hrs, and then unwrapped......and took the pictures. These are not to my liking but I do feel good about the process so will sinew both of the "big" bows tomorrow.
rich

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »
Rich..... nice looking sinew job right thar......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:19 pm »
Amazing amount of work Rich! That sinew looks really nice.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2016, 08:38:07 pm »
Thanks D Bar......if my bows turn as good as the arrows you made for me I'm gonna be a happy camper.

Thank you Plan B, this is my first sinew job, and had no idea what they were supposed to look like at this point......appreciate the feed back from both of you fellas.
rich

Offline Parnell

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2016, 11:07:53 am »
Wow, Rich!  You are a machine!  Scalloped belly Osage?  Very clever all the way around.
1’—>1’

Offline JonW

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2016, 06:24:02 pm »
Rich the sinew looks fine. If any problems arise just re-liquify the glue and make adjustments.

Offline half eye

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »
Thanks Jon, appreciate the look-over sir.  I am hoping that I was even enough on the pre-tiller and sinew application to make final tillering good good.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2016, 09:29:32 am »
Fellas,
     Just to update. I sinewed both of the "big" bows yesterday....one before and one after getting all my teeth pulled and the jaw bone ground down.....so here are the pics of the sinewed bows.
    Thought I would add in some "candy" so you can see what I'm gonna do for the next couple/ three weeks.....thats the second set of pictures.

I was very lucky indeed to be gifted a quiver and 3 cased skins from Gutshot. The quiver is beaver and a very nice belt type for hunting and the cased skins are 2 fox and a river otter.....all just gorgeous.
    To top that off I was further gifted a very nice cased Coon skin, and a super quality Knife blade from Trapper Rob. So now I get to makes some high end quivers and skinner while waiting for the sinew to cure out.

Thank you Gutshot and Trapper Rob from the bottom of my heart....wont forget you fellas.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2016, 09:30:43 am »
next set

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2016, 09:34:13 am »
Will look forward to whatcha do with those skins.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Stringman

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2016, 11:34:37 am »
Love the colors in that grey fox! You are a rich man!

Offline JonW

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2016, 12:30:56 pm »
Wow! Very nice pelts.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2016, 02:25:22 pm »
Hey Rich are those some Dzan Bar arrows in that beaver quiver

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2016, 04:24:28 pm »
 Rich,
          That sinew looks really smooth from here...Your putting a lot into these bows man...Noticed the carved tip also :o...All those hides and bows, looks like a scene out of Jeremiah Johnson 8) 8) 8)...Can't wait to see the end product!
                                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;