Author Topic: Osage & seal ?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Osage & seal ?
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:40:55 pm »
Hi Guys  I have a osage stave thats 7 months off the stump Im planing on chasing down to the final ring & ruffing out the bow next week & setting it aside to season but was wondering if I still need to seal the back at 7 months ? Just trying to avoid getting the shellac off later.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Osage & seal ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:47:30 pm »
For a half a second there I thought you were posting a osage bow backed with seal skin.....lol

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 03:16:49 pm »
yes you should seal it,,,leave an extra growth ring on and take it off to get the sealer off,, or use tite bond to seal it,, then back with raw hide or snake skin, then you don't have to remove the glue, ,just rough it up a bit with sand paper,,
be sure and seal around the handle and fades,, new wood likes to check there really bad,,

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:28:01 pm »
Definitely seal, there is plenty of moisture still in there to cause checking

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:52:05 pm »
Yes, that stave is still green.  Also, keep in mind that checking is caused when wood dries (and shrinks) unevenly, thereby pulling fibers apart.  To combat this, be sure the limbs are about 5/8" thick from side-to-side and end-to-end.  You have to leave the handle thick so be sure to really seal that area well as mentioned above.

Shellac is pretty easy to scrape or sand off.  At least if it is still good and hardens all the way.

Be sure and store it somewhere sorta cool and moist (basement, unheated garage) for a month or so before moving it indoors, especially if you are in a heated house.  Then store it in your house for a month or two.  Then put it in your attic and it will be ready to work come next bowmaking season.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 05:10:28 pm »
Every time I wondered something like this, it turns out I should have.............

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 05:15:03 pm »
I seal every newly exposed back, no matter how long it has been off the stump. I've had 10 year old osage staves check over night because I didn't seal them.   
 Shellac is carried with alcohol so you can wipe it off the back with a rag and alcohol or a light sanding will do it. If you are not gonna stain the bow's back just leave the shellac on the back. Probably any finish will go on over shellac.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:14:40 pm »
What Pat said... I always seal freshly exposed rings because I've had them check slightly without it
when i thought they wouldn't... though I've never left the shellac on there since I have other aspirations for color and finish on those bows.  Shellac comes off very easy when it's time. I got another can of shellac today. That makes 3 :^) I use it a lot.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer