Author Topic: Arrow spine and sinew bowstring  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Tanneur

Arrow spine and sinew bowstring
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:33:32 am »
I‘m shooting with sinew bowstrings that are more than twice as heavy as Dacron B50 strings. It seems that the higher sinew weight calls for lighter spined arrows but I don‘t have any figures.

Anyone shooting with sinew strings has an idea of how much I should reduce arrow spine? I generally shoot 40-45# self bows or sinew backed recurves with a 24-26“ draw length. Arrow length is around 28“.

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Arrow spine and sinew bowstring
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:19:06 pm »
following this, I shoot sinew until it gets too wet here. I don't spine my arrows however. I make them one at a time and if they don't fly good they go aside. I haven't seen any mention of that affecting spine before, very interesting. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:17:04 pm »
ok that makes since, if you shoot a fast flight sometimes you have to go up in spine,( the bow is shooting harder and takes more spine to fly well)
so if you are shooting a slower stretchier string,, going down in spine would make sense,,
you could go longer on the arrow,,or heavier tip,,( this will reduce the felt spine to the bow)
I don't have any figures for you, but just try the things to make the arrow lighter in spine until the arrow shoots good,,
in my opinion going longer will be the easier than getting lighter spine arrow,,
I see Native arrows over 30 inches for short draw bows,, and I am thinking it was to get the arrow to shoot well,, but that is me just thinking out loud,,,

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »
Don't be scared to make your sinew strings smaller. Mine are about the same diameter as 12 strand Dacron string.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »
Interesting.
Wizard, they may be the same diameter, but how do they compare in weight

Offline Tanneur

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:30:59 pm »
@ Bradsmith2010 „I see Native arrows over 30 inches for short draw bows“ Good to know, thanks.

@ wizardgoat Dacronstring 14 strand is 5/64“, sinew string, well waxed and shot in for a 57#bow is 9/64“. I would not dare using 5/64“ with sinew … ok, maybe I should.

What sinew do you use? Back, leg? Reverse wrap, braided?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:44:13 pm »
Hey guys I'll weigh them and post a couple pics later, I'm curious too now :)
I've only used back sinew for strings. I'm just a reverse twist 2 ply kind of guy