Author Topic: Hit and run/texting while driving!  (Read 5058 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Hit and run/texting while driving!
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:00:38 pm »
I just found out a friend was hit by a car while she was out riding her bike to work.  The accident was seen by numerous witnesses, several of whom got the description of the driver/vehicle/license plate.  Another car followed the driver all the way home and waited there, staying on the phone with 911 dispatch until the police arrived to make the arrest. 

G*** was lucky to only suffer sprains, deep muscle bruising, and shock.  Her bike was drug under the car for a block and it was totally destroyed.  I was telling another friend of this today while we were having coffee.  We hatched a plan to go to every bike shop in town until we find one that will work with us to make a great deal on a replacement bike.  Then we are going to start a Facebook campaign to raise the price of a replacement bike for her.  A woman overheard us and dropped a $20 on the table to kickstart things, proving to me Someone Upstairs agrees that this is the right thing to do.

G*** has enough problems, what with some developmental disabilities from fetal alcohol syndrome and so on.  But she is the most genuinely good hearted person I know.  I'm not asking anyone here to chip in, part of our plan is to flood the local area via Facebook in order to raise awareness about texting and driving.  We will easily make the financial goal, but there is a greater good in raising the awareness. 

I guess I wanted to share in here to encourage everyone to put down the phone when you are at the wheel.  I am guilty of checking texts and telling myself that I only respond while sitting at a red light...but that isn't strictly true.  This was my wake-up call.  That could have been me hitting a pedestrian, cyclist, or another vehicle.  I'm done.  Hang up and drive.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hit and run/texting while driving!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:11 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend, JW. But now I have a gripe.

I wish all of the buttholes would quit checking their text's at the red lite in front of me, then go "aww crap" when it turns yellow and runs through it leaving me to either run the red or sit through another cycle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:15 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend, JW. But now I have a gripe.

I wish all of the buttholes would quit checking their text's at the red lite in front of me, then go "aww crap" when it turns yellow and runs through it leaving me to either run the red or sit through another cycle.

I tole ya, I am quitting that!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:15 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend too JW.  My wife and I go for a lot of walks together and we really have to watch out.  Have had many close calls because of people texting.  In Minnesota it is illegal to check texts at red light or while driving.  Anytime you are in control of your vehicle, it is illegal.  I work in a 911 center and texting had become a huge problem. 

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:23:20 pm »
I was in an accident at 16 with some friends, nothing to do with cell phones but I was distracted. Since then I've been a hard ass about seatbelts being on, phones being in a cup holder on vibrate but still no checking them, and music low most the time. Even the passenger can't be on the phone at night because of the light. Since then I've been rear ended twice by a text and driving person and last week by a dude whole parked in the wrong spot and got all poopy and tried speeding out of there when asked to move. Distractions and emotions have no place behind the wheel.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:23 pm »
That is a shame.  This texting thing is a real pet peve of mine.  I see it on a daily basis and its illegal here if caught its something like a $120 fine.  People just dont get it, and it cases more accidents than drinking and driving.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »
Texting etc really sucks but I think you should buy your friend a car
or something less vulnerable than a bicycle. To many folks die trying
to compete with SUV's and Semi's.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 02:44:15 am »

Sorry to hear about your Friend, and her Friend, and good on you and your buddy, to help her out. A few years ago, there were two excellent videos, about texting, and seat belts, that were made in England.  The one about texting was very graphic, and superbly done.  The one on seat belts, was a silent, pantomine, with the family, in the living room, and had a slow mo section, again, it was superbly done.  Dang, Eddie, couldn't you be a little more tactful?!  You know poor J.W. probably felt that hit the skin!  Try to be a little more sensitive, you know how them North Dakotians are.  He just might dress up like ol Doc Holiday, and come looking for you.  Sorry, about Eddie, J.W.  He probably found a fish hook, in his flip flop, and is not in his normal good mood.  You can take off the black broad cloth, coat, and put the hat, and peace maker away, now.  OK, you can still wear the mule eared boots, and California spurs. ;)

Wayne

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 03:42:33 am »
You are a good man JW.
I agree with all the stuff about texting and phones. I hate telecoms with a passion. All that fancy technology and it rarely works when you actually need it. 99.9% of all calls and texts have zero or negative importance other than trying to demonstrate how cool you are to anyone near you.
"HI YES... I'M ON THE TRAIN... I'M SHOUTING SO THAT THE OTHER PASSENGERS CAN TELL THAT I'M A HIGH POWERED BUSINESSMAN!"
Made me laugh to myself the other day as I drove home there was a workman standing in hole at the roadside... he was on the phone... I imagined him saying..
"I'm in hole...."
Del 
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:27 am »
Kudos JW - Prayers sent for Your Friend ! Eddy -Before I retired, I LOVED waking those "red light" texters up with the Air Horn  >:D ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:07:46 am »
You are a good man JW.
I agree with all the stuff about texting and phones. I hate telecoms with a passion. All that fancy technology and it rarely works when you actually need it. 99.9% of all calls and texts have zero or negative importance other than trying to demonstrate how cool you are to anyone near you.
"HI YES... I'M ON THE TRAIN... I'M SHOUTING SO THAT THE OTHER PASSENGERS CAN TELL THAT I'M A HIGH POWERED BUSINESSMAN!"
Made me laugh to myself the other day as I drove home there was a workman standing in hole at the roadside... he was on the phone... I imagined him saying..
"I'm in hole...."
Del

I hear ya.  most young people these days are devoid of any compassion or real communication skills, in some ways it has become a senseless existence for people seeking refuge in an empty electronic space we call the Internet best known as the World Wide Web.  >:D
Sure I use it or I would not be typing this, its great for research, i do not use Facebook or Tweeter.  I would rather bore myself or amuse myself with a good book or Archery Magazine..... :)  On second thought I'am going to shoot a 100 arrows.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:38:11 am »
That is a shame.  This texting thing is a real pet peve of mine.  I see it on a daily basis and its illegal here if caught its something like a $120 fine.  People just dont get it, and it cases more accidents than drinking and driving.

It's a $400 fine up here, they should double that, and it doesn't matter if you are stopped at a red light.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:05 pm »
Texting and driving charge is a pittance.  This idiot is looking at Felony Hit and Run of a pedestrian. 

The difference between a piddly ticket and facing prison time is a split second!  It was simply luck that limited her charges to just that and not Manslaughter by Willful Negligence. 

Hang up and drive.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 12:15:25 pm »
Sorry to the bad news JW.. There isn't a day go by I see this happening on the road.. Hope your friend heals well.. Good on you for taking care of business.. $375 fine and 3 points against your licence in Ab.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 06:02:38 pm »
That is just crazy that he was dragging her bike along and kept on going like that!  She really is fortunate she didn't get hurt worse, and it's great that you're helping her out like that as well as spreading the word on not texting while driving.  Although I think the guy that hit her should get a lesson on not only not texting, but on the law, and on how not to be a flaming butthole.