Author Topic: Is this red osier?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Is this red osier?
« on: March 05, 2016, 08:37:46 am »
Just as the title says. My boss has a bunch of this growing around his house. If it is red osier,  I'm going to cut all the shafts I can find because he wants to cut them way back he says they are taking over. Thanks guy's.

Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this red osier?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:01:10 am »
Looks like red osier to me, Patrick...or it could be silky dogwood. I don't know which grows in your area. They both have red stems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:33:13 am »
It looks like the red osier we have around here. 

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 12:57:18 pm »
If that's red osier then I'm in heaven. The creek has that stuff overflowing all the way till it runs into the river 5 miles away. I'm going collecting! How can you tell it apart from other red limbed shoots though?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 02:19:01 pm »
Looks like red osier to me, Patrick...or it could be silky dogwood. I don't know which grows in your area. They both have red stems.

Pat I'm pretty sure red osier is not native to my area. My boss said he bought these some 20 years ago but don't remember the name.

If they are silky dogwood, would they be good arrow shafts?

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 04:14:04 pm »
  Yep
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 05:36:51 pm »
Its been years since I've tried silky. I have sourwood(my preference) and hill cane so silky is at least a third. It should work fine Patrick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 11:36:29 pm »
Thanks everyone,  I'm going to go cut all I can find. He said there is a bunch of them so hopefully there will be some good shafts in the mix. I'll let ya'll know what I get.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:20:16 am »
Look for second growth Patrick. Usually that means a main trunk around 1" round to make second growth 3/8 or better at the "point end". Just something to watch for if you have that much to choose from. It grows like weeds up here. I could cut 200 in an afternoon if I wanted to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:55 am »
Thanks Chris,  I'll do that. I've always tried to cut the older stuff when I find it. This is the only one I've seen around that I can remember.

Patrick

Offline Buck67

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:06 am »
The straightest Red Osier that I have been able to find grows in deep shade.  You have to bushwhack back into the thicket to find the good stuff.  It straightens pretty well with heat.  Just avoid the ones with a hard kink.

By the way.  A common name for Red Osier is Kinnikinnick.  The bark was dried and mixed with tobacco and other herbs as a smoking blend.  The smell is certainly distinctive.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:41:49 am »
Thanks buck. I'll remember that!

Patrick

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:15:03 pm »
Patrick, that looks like the red osier that I have on my property.  It makes nice shafts.  The new or second growth is usually the straightest and requires less correction.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:43:29 pm »
Thanks Matt,  newer shoots is more likely what they are. My boss cuts them back every year.

Patrick