Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Alan Case's flight arrows - learning how to make them!

<< < (6/8) > >>

avcase:
Mike,
Excellent progress on the arrows, and a beautiful bow to go with it!  I wish I could build flight arrows as quick as you have. I am lucky to finish a dozen per year. Hahaha!

Yes, I have used this same technique with hardwoods. One of the first arrow shafts I ever made was an arrow shaft made of alternating strips of hickory and purple heart. During the glue-up, I put a deliberate twist into the shaft to give it a crazy candy-cane look. Billet wood or Massaranduba is a good candidate because it is very shock resistant. The arrow will need to be a little larger in diameter with a dense hardwood in order to make up for the lower material stiffness compared to Tonkin or Japanese Arrow bamboo.

600 yards is an excellent goal for a hand shot all-natural materials bow. Not many have achieved this, but it is certainly achievable given Some determination and your skill. The Turks had a special level of achievement for their flight archers when they reached somewhere near 600 yards. I have to look up what the title is called, but I would like to create a special recognition under World Archery/USA Archery for this level of achievement as well as maintain a list of archers who have accomplished such a feat using all-natural materials equipment. I hope to see you on this list someday!

Alan

mikekeswick:
Thanks Alan. The candy cane arrow sounds pretty funky and after making some of these arrows I can see it...funnily enough because I inadvertently got some twist in one of mine. Now you've got me thinking, some target arrows made like that would get some heads turning haha! Regarding the hardwoods I think I will have a try at making a few even if it's just for experience of 'what does what' to the distances.
600 yds is a long way off for me - if you'll pardon the pun but there is nothing like a good challenge to get me fired up.
Yes I am aware of the Turkish 600yds 'barrier' I think it was the distance required to be shot before acceptance into the Turkish Archery Guild in Kani's time.
I see that the flight shoot this year is on the 2-5th September, I was going to B.C. this year for the whole of September...maybe I can convince my friends we need to go to Utah first....

mikekeswick:
So i'm off out to test half of these arrows today. Lets see what they do!

Badger:
   Report back how they do Mike.

mikekeswick:
The weather has been terrible since I said I was going out to test them....very gusty winds and rain.....hopefully it's going to clear up soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version