Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Alan Case's flight arrows - learning how to make them!

<< < (4/8) > >>

joachimM:

--- Quote from: mikekeswick on March 10, 2016, 02:37:01 am ---
Alan - one more thing have you ever thought about using this technique with any of the dense, stiff tropical hardwoods? Obviously you would need a perfect board for no tearout etc.

--- End quote ---

I don't think there's a good reason to use tropical dense hardwoods: they aren't stiffer and denser than the outside strips of the better bamboo.
The outer side of bamboo can have a density of 1.1 (try to beat that with tropical hardwoods), and has a higher elastic modulus (stiffness) compared to the stiffer tropical hardwoods like bulletwood and purpleheart. Nothing beats bamboo in this department.

Joachim

Badger:

--- Quote from: joachimM on March 10, 2016, 05:19:43 am ---
--- Quote from: mikekeswick on March 10, 2016, 02:37:01 am ---
Alan - one more thing have you ever thought about using this technique with any of the dense, stiff tropical hardwoods? Obviously you would need a perfect board for no tearout etc.

--- End quote ---

I don't think there's a good reason to use tropical dense hardwoods: they aren't stiffer and denser than the outside strips of the better bamboo.
The outer side of bamboo can have a density of 1.1 (try to beat that with tropical hardwoods), and has a higher elastic modulus (stiffness) compared to the stiffer tropical hardwoods like bulletwood and purpleheart. Nothing beats bamboo in this department.

Joachim

--- End quote ---

mikekeswick:
So eight new shafts from 172 grains to just over 300. They all have the same outside dimensions but varying wall thicknesses. It will be interesting to see what difference the weight makes.
I've got some parchment somewhere that I will try to fletch them with but I haven't had much luck with it in the past. Has anybody got any suggestions for good flight arrow feathers?

PatM:
I always use Peregrine or  Needletail Swift feathers.  ;D

Urufu_Shinjiro:
If I ever make flight arrows I'm going to do one with an eastern two fletch using my (small) parrots feathers for a lark (bird pun only slightly intended), lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version