Author Topic: Glue for a BBO..?  (Read 8198 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Glue for a BBO..?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 08:49:30 am »
Oh ARRRRRGH....  ???
Now I see why I have avoided making any bows that required glue.  ::)
Thanks guys.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 09:04:59 am »
It's smooth on being used here and always has.I picked up the usage from a couple of long toothed FG bow makers.36 grit and a sizing to both surfaces.C clamps/innertube wrapping/and pressurized hoses all work.I think they try for about 70 pounds of pressure but that's hard to guage with c clamps etc.Even so I hav'nt had any failures.Could say that about hide glue too though.....lol.Works well on sleeves too filling gaps up to 1/16" thick.Overlays too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 09:07:21 am »
Oh warming your wood up like over a wood stove I think can be beneficial.Might be superstcious but it makes sense to me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 09:53:05 am »
Oh warming your wood up like over a wood stove I think can be beneficial.Might be superstcious but it makes sense to me.

I've heard of this one too but never have tried it yet.  I kinda makes sense though...  I have actually used a heat gun to force glue to set quickly when trying to fill a void in the wood. 

OneBow

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:07 am »
I've still heard of guys making invisible glue lines having problems with TB in that area,

I agree it is not as good as the epoxies. I don't believe it creeps though. I just think it lets go in areas that are flexing. I have had problems myself in the fade areas. I don't like to use the TB3 on bows longer than about 62" and 50#. A lot of mine have let go and formed that lip several years after they were finished.

Offline GB

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 02:09:19 am »
If you use Unibond, it just has to be in a room that's above 70 degrees to cure.  I know a guy who drapes a small plastic tarp over his form and uses a shop light for the heat source.  O/w a hot box is really simple to make if you want to use Smooth On.  Mine is just a piece of plywood for the floor and a cut up 4' by 8' piece of insulation, held together with good old duct tape.  A shop light with a 75W bulb inside gets it up around 100 degrees.  Never had a glue up that failed with either epoxy.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:02 pm »
  I have never had this "creeping" experience with TB III.  It dries like a very hard plastic, but does have some flexibility to it, so I could see it being possible.  I haven't made a laminated bow without a solid power lam for, like 16 or 18 years, though, so maybe my power-lams are saving me there.  Just never had it happen.

Once, I remember the glue line at the base of the handle block going from barely there, almost invisible, to slightly wider, but it didn't spalt, lift, or develop a lip.  I kept checking on it while hunting with that bow, and never could feel anything there.  i guessed at the time that maybe the handle lams shrank a tad as humidity fluctuated, but since it wasn't a problem never got farther than that.

One thing I DID learn about TB III bows is to leave them on the form longer.  I used to use URAC, which would be hard as a rock overnight, but I noticed that if I used the drying times suggested on the TB bottle, I would lose more R/D than I thought I should have.  I started leaving them on the form a couple or three days, taking them inside in the winter, and even putting them in my car or hotbox, and it seems like they hold the form's shape better.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 05:35:05 pm »
Thanks for the added input. It's just a straight glue the boo to the slat job, no form.
I have the bamboo ready and just need to trim the 1/4 sawn slat of hedge before I get to gluing up.