Author Topic: lower limb taking set: ambient moisture differences  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: lower limb taking set: ambient moisture differences
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 08:23:44 am »
Yes, common sense should be used.

"BUT if you take that perfectly tillered bow and alter the mc levels one limb relative to the other you don't have a perfectly tillered bow anymore now do you?!?"

Well, maybe. It depends, I think. Common sense tells me any potential effect of moisture differences in a bow's limbs would be relative to the actual moisture content(s) within the bow... meaning, the 2% difference between 12 and 14% may show a noticeable effect while a 2% difference between 7 and 9% may not. Common sense also tells me that any such difference(and/or higher level of actual average m.c.) might only have a noticeable affect on a limb if it was also already borderline overly stressed due to things like design shortcomings, or limb balance disparity... again, relevant to degree. I think common sense helps me remain objective about this as my bows are always stored vertically and their bottom limbs seem no worse for it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 08:50:47 am »
Assuming you're not flight shooting, wouldn't tillering for balance and storing consistently the same way keep a bow shooting consistently and reasonably for a person? I'm not talking about an extreme moisture differential or one that causes permanent additional set for a shot-in bow. Or commercial bows.

Wouldn't changing a storage method be more likely to change the balance?

Just in real terms under reasonable conditions a bow seems to adapt to the bowyer's preferences automatically, since how he tillers ends up fitting the relative stiffness of the limbs under his storage conditions. If a bow doesn't do that he will likely re-tiller or prefer and use another bow he made that does. In the end it's the survival of the fittest -- and most adapted.

Not saying here that horizontal storage might not be ideal. I'm sure it is. But not always practical.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PatM

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 09:38:58 am »
Jeff, I may have missed it but do you use equal length  limbs?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 10:00:25 am »
Pat, I usually make the top limb about 1 1/2" longer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:49:43 am by Dances with squirrels »
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 11:09:12 pm »
Being a relatively newcomer to the building of selfbows I am very interested in any of these types of discussions. I value all the different opinions and try to learn from them.
Of the bows I have built. I have hand rubbed 5 to 6 coats of Truoil on them. Realizing that no finish is 100% waterproof, I wonder how much difference a 10% RH difference would actually make in a bows MC between lower and upper limb storing in a.verticle position?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 11:40:55 pm »
One thing I've seen happen to bows that are left alone for 6 months or so is they actually increase in poundage at tillered draw length by drying out more.Even up to 4 to 5 pounds more. It's really an opportunity I think to heat treat reflex /remove material and retiller the old bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »

Of the bows I have built. I have hand rubbed 5 to 6 coats of Truoil on them. Realizing that no finish is 100% waterproof, I wonder how much difference a 10% RH difference would actually make in a bows MC between lower and upper limb storing in a.verticle position?

The finish just slows the moisture movement. The bow will still change MC, it's only the time that changes. Your results WILL vary :D