Author Topic: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple/finished  (Read 16476 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Re: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple/finished
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2016, 02:34:03 pm »
Outstanding!
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Badger

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2016, 02:40:27 pm »
   That bow really came out nice, I was rooting for you but I honestly thought the odds were stacked against you. Great job!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »
   I was glad to see you lower the weight on that a bit. What made you decide to drop weight? was it starting to take some set?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2016, 02:48:02 pm »
Great lookin bow there Ed!! I love me a cedar bow. Even though I've never had one not explode on me. It's been a while though, you're making me want to give it another go.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline GB

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2016, 03:43:53 pm »
I really like the way you finished it, Ed.  The contrast between the maple and cedar is very appealing.  I want to make another one now, too.  The hard part is finding a nice straight grained board without a ton of knots in it. :)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline willie

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2016, 05:34:14 pm »
I really like what you have done with this combo, my hats off to you

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2016, 05:50:42 pm »
Wow I new it would be beautifull and it crrtanly is !!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stoker

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2016, 05:58:54 pm »
Very nice looking bow...
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »
very nice,, congrats on your bow, B

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Thanks fellas.....The tillering was a bit more touchy than doing a plain old osage self bow that's for sure.Fidgity bugger.Not letting it work into fades but still to them etc.The reflex area always showing stiff etc.Getting it evenly braced with a nice even bend on both limbs without stressing it on the tree was a mistake.I lost at least 10#'s or more for sure doing that.Used a 6" 2"X4" block with 36 grit paper to tiller it.Did'nt count my strokes on each limb just made pencil marks and sanded them away I thought evenly to both limbs.I finally said to heck with this see saw action on these limbs positive to negative tiller and put it on the tree pulled it to about 27" or so and lucky enough I was left close to even tiller with about 3# to spare from what I ended up with.So I really could'nt tell ya what the initial starting weight was.Had to be over 65#'s.Feel lucky to have a bow with the poundage I got.Gave it about 1/16" positive tiller and finished sanding it and quit at present weight.
The arrow flight and cast is what impresses me most about this bow.When I come to full anchor even the 4.5" long and 1/2" to 5/8" tall feathers will hiss a bit.Those are 10gpp arrows.Fast flight string.Shot it through the chrono and it shot respectable.Not completely sure I'm coming to full anchor each time though either and after shooting 40 arrows or so first.Lower 170's but not to 180 was it.Been shooting the shit out of it.Hopefully I'll have a good day of shooting at the ITBA shoot tomorrow with my FG shooting buddies.This bow is'nt broken in yet in my mind so I'll see what happens down the road.
Appreciate you guys hanging in there with this build of mine here.Appreciate your input.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2016, 09:51:21 pm »
Stoner....Some beef rawhide,sheared sheepskin,and some braintan make this contraption.Take a ladys' tight fitting garden glove apart with the index and thumb as a pattern and sew one up with a rawhide sheep skin padded arm band.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2016, 10:07:21 pm »
I think the 170's is very respectable and realistic for the amount of reflex it is holding,, seems to a really sweet shooter,,, I think it might just have enough cast to kill a deer,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2016, 10:14:37 pm »
Thanks Brad....It actually is my go to target bow mostly because of the lighter poundage.Coming to full anchor consistently has haunted me.......but wooden arrow flight on it is almost consistently flawless which would get me my best penitration that's for sure.I don't shoot carbides to cover my bow and spining and form flaws.Like some people I won't mention.......lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoner

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 10:20:57 pm »
Thanks for posting the pic of your glove contraption. Pretty niffty, now I got another project for "My List" which keeps growing faster that I can complete. John

Offline bubby

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2016, 10:39:15 pm »
That came out sweet Ed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹