Author Topic: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple/finished  (Read 16478 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »
Thanks fellas but you know it's got to be a shooter before it's a looker....ha ha.Gonna get closure to this success or failure.
I took a little over 2 ounces off it today.1 ounce out of forming up my handle and a little over 1/2 ounce per limb off too.It was 22.70 and now 20.55 ounces.All belly tillering evenly from both limbs.Used the farriers' rasp and 6" block of 2"X4" with 36 grit paper on it.I'm looking at about a 68 pound pull with the long string to get a good 7" brace.Looks to be bending good and should be good enough on the short string too.Oh it's still got a little over 3" of reflex understandable but the reflex increases as I remove belly material again like the other.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 09:20:58 pm »
OK.....Finally shooting a cedar bow yipeeeeee!Could'nt wait till it was completely finished so I was shooting it in late today and letting it rest for an hour here.Shot 20 to 30 arrows.490 to 500 grain and 47 to 50 spined 30" arrows.Pretty snappy but it's fresh you know.Robin was around and shot a pic for me.It's gonna be maybe a week till I get it all finished up.There's a shoot this saturday for the Iowa traditional bow hunters society a couple of hours north of me.I'll shoot it some more there.Even pulled it to 29" a few times just for safetys' sake.About 48#@28"or about 50#@29".64.5" NTN.1/16" positive tiller.I really don't think it's absolutely perfect tiller but damn close anyway.The discrepency is way out towards the tips anyway.Think I might leave it.Don't want to lose any more weight and I don't feel like piking it either.Absolutely dead in the hand with the stiff handle and very quiet.5/8" thick arrow pass.18.85 ounces.
I want to thank everyone for their tid bits of advice and encouragement.I appreciate it.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 09:27:01 pm »
Wow ...Sweet
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 09:44:47 pm »
Another success for you Ed after your first faliure you picked your self up dusted off went back and made it work Impressive !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »
Alright Ed! It looks pretty dang good to me. Maybe a little stiff out at the tips but you said it was dead in the hand so.  If it shoots good it is good! Congrats!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline GB

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2016, 01:44:06 am »
That is one sweet looking bow.  Nice work!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2016, 07:36:47 am »
Thanks fellas...Shooting it gives new meaning to the saying dead in the hand.Stiff handle and cedar limbs.Because of it's width it's darn near half and half cedar and maple.Not quite.Hav'nt really measured.I usually like my outer 8 to 10 inches stiff and narrow practically on all of my bows.It rest with around a 1.5" set back.Lost almost half through tillering but figured on that.After a couple of hours of shooting it still gives the arrow around 3/4" of set back punch.I guess it lives up to it's reputation.Great target bow but might get a crazy hair to try to down a few critters with it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:55 am »
Nice!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple/finished
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 11:53:04 am »
OK finally a little closure to this bow here.Thanks for tagging along and looking.Put a few thin coats of laquer finish on it,a brain tan handle,cow horn overlays,and some of Robins' crazy yarn.Still a bit of improvement I could make I feel.The fades could be rounded more maybe without any danger.Other things too.I notice consistently clean arrow flight with this deflexed handle compared to a reflexed type bow.Like I've heard talk about recently.With it's 48#@28" coming to anchor is better consistently so I'm more accurate also.Tillering these wider limbs caution has to be taken to keeping width even on both edges.I notice one place out towards the tip end on the top limb that's not exactly right.Can't really see it till you look down the edge of limb at brace.All in all a sweet shooting snappy bow.Till the next one ehhhhhhh!!!!Colors on this one are appealing.The poor mans' yew bow.Some more pics.

BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 11:59:45 am »
Darn camera kinda shows the string alignment wrong.It actually is about an 1/8" off from being center shot although I've heard the string has to be about 3/16" passed arrow shelf to be called a true center shot correct?
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 12:00:49 pm »
Looks nice, Ed. Tiller is nice to. Its good to see an RD that is bending where it should.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2016, 12:16:17 pm »
I like everything about this bow.  Those color striations on the belly are neat.  Tips look great.  As PD said so does the tiller.  Great job sir!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2016, 12:21:43 pm »
Thanks I know I said I'll make 2 or 3 more a while back but this one got me all stressed out along the way with 2 previous failures.She's not perfect but it'll have to do.If I can find some more clean cedar I may do another though.Got a great source for some cheap clean maple backing though someone may want to talk to me about in the future though too.Stuff will be drum sanded and consistent too.Not coming off a band saw uneven and varied like from these flash fried companies out there.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoner

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2016, 02:12:35 pm »
Fantastic Craftsmanship!!! Great thread to follow, now I gotta figure out how to save with the pics. Maybe print it?

I really like your shooting glove, could we see some more pics. Thanks, John

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2016, 02:28:09 pm »
You want to see some fantastic craftsmanship take a gander at simsons' purple haze bow but thanks anyway.Think my skills are still in the intermediate stages compared to what I've seen on here.After so many bows there's too many decisions to be made for something different.Did take a pic of it finished at rest though too yet.
It's actually holding about 1.75 reflex now.That's overnight after shooting.There are other very nice cedar bows displayed on this forum in the past.Blackhawks,Gundocs,GBs,and simson's to think of off hand here.Some glued up and some self bows.
BowEd
Ed