Author Topic: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple/finished  (Read 16488 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Bow in progress.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »
Do you plan to put a thin lam of the maple under the ERC Block for the handle when you glue it to the belly of the bow?

OneBow

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 05:37:41 pm »
Great tutitorial Ed that glue joint with that drum sanded maple looks flawless keep the pics coming locking this one in for the future
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 08:02:27 pm »
Thanks fellas
That's a thought I realized about but nope just red cedar to red cedar.I'm not too worried about the glue line giving if that's what your question is intended about.Well fitted oil and grease free fit and smooth on.I'll warm the wood before sizing like I did core to backing.I can see your point though.You might prove me wrong.We'll see.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 09:23:21 pm »
Looks great Ed!
I'm sure you will, but make sure your fades are in the core and fades into your glued on handle.  It could pop off if not. But you probably know that already.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 02:29:19 pm »
Really good!   Badger is right about the tips being not following the curve quite far enough, but that's ok. In that case I would keep the full width out to mid-limb. 

MY best luck with both tiller and shootability on R/D bows comes when the first 25% off the limbs bends enough to do it's share. That isn't a lot, since they are already deflexed, though. That middle 50% of the limb, where the most curve is , bends the most, and the outer 25% bends less again.

If during tillering you get the feeling that your tips are glued up too "straight", then you just have to leave em a tad thick and narrow, and make them bend less, and move some of that bend closer to the handle, where you'll be glad for that 2" width.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:18 am »
Thanks fellas.....I started on an osage while waiting for handle wood of cedar to get dry.So no more pics as of yet.
Since this has a foot long overall handle including fades that gives me 4" fades each approximately.I plan on carrying them full width at least an inch towards the grip then to a suitable arrow pass.I'm pretty sure if any thing goes on this cedar the glue won't be the fault.It'll tear the cedar apart with glue line intact.
Right now my taper from parallel limbs starts about 8" from fades or 9" if extended like I said.Your right I know I've done these with bamboo backed hickory and before and they do work in a smaller area.Desnser material though.A recipe for failure but also flip side if successful with good performance if done right.We'll see.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:53 pm »
OK for those who care here's a little more progress on this bow.This bow has me nervous....lol.
Glued handle to core and backing with smooth on and over the stove it goes.

Cleaned it up and sanded my fades in

Side profile

Top view profile

The 4,5" long handle is still 1 and 1/8" wide.Not to my liking but the fades are 2.25" long and it's 1" thick where the taper starts to the 4.5" handle.The taper is 1.5" long to a 4.5" long handle.Hope it's enough to stop the bending to the handle.Parallel out 8" from fade on limbs.The bow is still way over built.It weighs 22.70 ounces and pulling on it with the long string it took about 50# just to get the tips even with handle.Guess I'll continue to remove belly material to get it to brace.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 12:04:33 am »
Side profile is shapely.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:05 am »
It would be nice in bows if looks could kill but a lot of times it's not that way....ha ha.For some fortunate few it is true though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 10:39:04 am »
That hanle section you glued on is thick enough as long as you don't get it bending inside to much. I would get the handle narrowed up like you want it Ed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:47 pm »
Here's some pics of what I'd like the handle to be.Inside 4.5" for handle/1.5" fade/Another 2.25" parallel width on handle to stop bending.It's an inch thick there too/then to the working limb.Total of 12".

I appreciate the insight on this one.As of now it is way overbuilt yet.I'll continue to remove belly wood evenly off of each limb to keep my taper consistent.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 12:53:09 pm »
As soon as I can get 6" of tip movement past handle at 50# with long string I'll brace her and see what I got.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 12:58:28 pm »
Man Ed,  that is looking pretty good to me. It's a bit over built but you will probably fix most of that by the time your done.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 04:08:52 pm »
That cedar maple colour contrast is totally gorgeous!  :)
I'm rooting for ya on this one mate!  :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 05:20:22 pm »
That is beautiful combo that cedar is beggin  for some finish ,that grain will really pop off ,it's going to be a looker !
If you fear failure you will never Try !