Author Topic: Bow in progress/D/R cedar/maple/finished  (Read 16487 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bow in progress.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 09:42:10 am »
Sort of jumped the gun here.I'll have to put a handle on the old girl before tillering.I'll show how I've been shown to do that too first and then overlays and tillering..
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 10:03:04 am »
Definitely watching this one!  😎👍😎👍

OneBow

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 02:24:50 pm »
Oh,  now it's getting good!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 02:56:41 pm »
   I think the curve should have been moved out closer to the tip than it is. Thats ok with fiberglass but can be a nightmare with wood. Hopefully you will prove me wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Looking forward to the ensuing battle!! Good luck, if it hods up it will be a shooter!

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 08:58:00 pm »
Do you glue it together, wrap with rubber, and then clamp it in the form? I noticed the clamps were put on after the rubber so I wondered.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »
Yep DC it gets wrapped first then clamped to form
You could easily be right there Steve.Deans' form has two deflex posts.One closer to the tip he calls a target bow and one closer to the handle called a hunting bow.Think the difference is about 3" in distance.I took his word for it.I have tillered these before though off same placement on form.Bamboo backed hickorys mostly a lot narrower.I know it's way overbuilt at the moment.Getting it to work on the inner third enough you mean?Hopefully I'll get it all worked out.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 10:00:20 pm »
     They shoot like demons when they come together. If you are wide enough you might be good to go, I thought you said 1 1/4 wide.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 10:15:26 pm »
Yea 2" Steve but I'm sure it's about an 80 # bow at the moment.Gonna leave a bit of red dust on the floor for sure.Thank god for spindle sanders....lol.Previously during that first failure at this combo and glue it gained reflex with belly removal.3/16" thick maple back on this.Right now off the form it's sitting with 3.25".Think I'll side tiller a bit on this one.For some reason I don't figure it to be a feather sizzler but I could be wrong.They say cedar can be pretty snappy though.Got the handle dry fitted and ready to glue on but it came from off a thick plank outside and was'nt dry I thought.Don't want to glue wet wood.Weighing that till it quits now too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 12:20:44 am »
DC....After core is tapered and ready for backing I size it with smooth on using a putty knife.Make it glassy in a low light angle.Warm the wood first if you can.Then I put the two together and wrap it with cellophane three places to hold it in place.Then wrap it completely with cellophane from tip to tip.The cellophane keeps the mess contained when I wrap it next with the innertubing as tight as I can.Then it goes on the form and clamped down.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 11:30:42 am »
Thanks Beadman. I'll use the cellophane next time. Last time I ruined a sweater and a shirt :(

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 11:57:29 am »
Nice pics Ed that cedar/ maple combo is really going to look sharp !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 12:53:13 pm »
I'm watching with interest what you get out there ...

Looks good so far
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 01:15:43 pm »
That's what they say stick bender.Going on past experience from others.Don't know till I try.
I know it won't campare to your purple haze bow simson but I'll be satisfied if I can get it shooting and stable.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »
A little farther along here with this build.The handle has been cut out and fitted.Not really glued yet because I think the handle wood contained too much moisture yet from laying outside.Within a week I'll glue it on.
First after core and backing come off form and it's sides are cleaned up of excess glue I measure out 6" from center both ways for a foot long handle and fades.I lay the core on a piece of wood as wide as my bow and just trace the inside curvature of that foot length.Adding backing & core the extra wood for a 1.5" thick handle in the center 4".Cut it out with band saw.Measure where 4" handle will go in the center.Sand and fit it perfectly to the core.Thinner laminations bendable and glued together for the same depth can be used too for highlights etc.but I had plenty of extra cedar and wanted a solid piece.Here's some pics.

Next sanding it to fit perfectly.If you can finger pressure any light away your close enough for a thin glue line with c clamps

Fades drawn onto it too for later cutting.You want them kind of sweeping not straight line.

Finally the dry fit and ready for glue up.

Bows like these can be made with self bows too which I have  out of different woods but not out of this tempermental red cedar.Again this is just one way to do it of which I've been shown. There are other ways too.Still a ways away from tillering yet where it hopefully will become a bow.I've reduced some already on the outer limbs but not too much.Want to keep my reflex enough for it to work decently on the inner limbs but not too much into the fades.They are touchy to tiller that's for sure.For me at least.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 03:53:30 pm »
You do have option yet too to put your arrow pass a little closer to the center of the bow with this long of a handle.
BowEd
Ed