Author Topic: Rivercane 2 fletch  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Rivercane 2 fletch
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:54:17 am »
Here are some rivecane two fletch 40-45 lb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rivercane 2 fletch
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:04:59 am »
Those look real good but I believe they are switch cane(A. tecta) and not river cane(A. gigantia).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:39 pm »
Those look nice.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:02:25 pm »
They would look better perforating a critter,  but they look good enough now!  Love the raw look of these arrows!  Thanks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »
I appreciate the compliments.  I want to say that these are not phragmite,  They are a river cane type I think. I dont really know what people are calling switch cane in eastern US.   I got them from old Hippy at the classic.  Sorry for the poor pic.  They are all natural materials cept the point. But by hunting season they will have flint on the front.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:13:25 pm »
If you got them from Old Hippy they are probably hill cane(A. appalachiana), one of the 3 native American bamboos.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:18:46 pm »
   Those are some of the old hippy's world famous hill cane. I haven't used anything else since I found my first patch.
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »
First rate cane, you ol' so and so.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:26 pm »
Hill cane ;) now I know.   BTW what is the difference?  I mean these are awesome.  Nevermind ill look it up. Hippy is a good friend and a great fellow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »
Hill cane and switch cane are very similar. Up until a few years ago they were the same then the powers that be re-designated hill cane as a separate species. Hill cane only grows in the Southern Appalachian Mountains and switch cane grows all over the South East US.
 Hill cane has ticker walls, rounder internodes, less of a sulcus(indentation above the node) and hill cane is the only native cane that is deciduous.

Hey Steve. How's life treating you?  I'm gonna have the Camp-O-Rama again this July. Be there or be square! ;)

Offline Thunder

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:06:40 pm »
Those are some good looking arrows!

Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Abo

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:30:32 pm »
Good looking set of arrows Sasquatch. Here in our area we have plenty switch cane and reed thickets around. If your interested in harvesting your own shafts I can hook you up. I have never used phragmites reed due to the fact that it's so fragil. Switch cane will work and I have used it for arrows and atlatl darts but it is rougher than river cane with larger nodes and drastic diameter changes. I am aware of a river cane thicket about 40 miles south of College Station if you want to check it out let me know. I also have access to some good dogwood.
John 3:16

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 05:10:46 pm »
River cane(A.gigantia) is the largest of the native canes. It grows to over 15' tall. It also has larger culms, up to 3/4" in diameter with thinner walls and a large center hole. It also has a more pronounced sulcus, the indentation above the node bud. The nodes are also larger in diameter.
 Switch cane only grows to 6' to 7' tall and hill cane is similar.
 There are many exotic canes(bamboos) growing all across the US. Most were planted in the early 1900s for erosion control and wind breaks. They range from about 1/4" in diameter to 6" or more.
 If you live in a warmer area, hardiness zone 8 or higher, Bambusa multiplex is an excellent arrow cane. It is a clumping type bamboo growing in a 8' to 10' diameter clump and not spreading farther. The culms grow to about 15' tall and maybe to 3/4" in diameter. The culms are round with little to no sulcus and internodes 12" to 15" long so you only have 2 nodes to each arrow. This bamboo has a small center hole with quite thick walls. It will not grow in colder climates...or I'd grow it.  ;D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 05:35:43 pm »
Pat
Do you think Bambusa multiplex would grow inside the house in a 3ft dia pot?  I got a spot with 15 ft ceiling, but I think I would cut it before it got that high.
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

riverrat

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 07:26:57 pm »
nice.