Author Topic: A little snakey hedgerina  (Read 5815 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A little snakey hedgerina
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:17:13 am »
Hello all.Here's one I'm shooting in right now.62.25"NTN,52#@28".9 to 10 inch skinny a$$ stiff levers.Took more set than I liked but evenly though as you can see.Think top limb is on the left.Maybe an inch of set back at rest.Good early draw weight but it's a freshy.Good flat cast on the 565 grain arrows at 20 yards.Almost center shot arrow pass.Shoots pleasant,clean,and where I'm looking at.Hav'nt had Robin take full draw yet but it looks in tiller to me.Send it later after shooting more.You can be the judge.
My maple backed cedar bow had a tear out on the maple backing while planing and I sanded that down and of course made a dip and it started a small crack there at 25"@52#.Have another maple backing I'll run through a thickness or drum sander next time and reglue.The grain had a little wave slightly there.No run out though.The core is tillered already so I won't need to mess with that.Always something....lol.Here's some pics of hedgerina.
Sort of looks like the top limb is longer but they are even lengthed limbs

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A little snakey hedgerina
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:36:59 am »
That's a good looking bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:15:21 am »
Wow, those really are skinny tips, great looking bow! Very clean.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:33:56 am »
Nice looking bow.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:30 am »
That thing's got "Spring" 8)

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:10:53 pm »
Nice profile... looking good :)
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:28 pm »
Nice job Ed. Looks like a smooth draw 8)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 01:08:00 pm »
Yeah, nice work. I like the skinny outers and tips - looks like a fast bow!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:32:36 pm »
yeah, she really looks quick. nice stik.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
looking good, I don't see any set,,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:54 pm »
Thanks fellas.I'll get the full draw tomorrow.Pictures of mine are'nt that good anyway though.About done seeing if it'll hold the tiller.Seems like when your reducing width on tips and when it starts to look a little scary you better quit.I've seen skinnier yet but I'm not there yet....lol.
It's taken set alright.Just overall set.No specific place along the limb.Tells me she's tapered and tillered ok.It had an overall slowly rising reflex heated into it.Should of been just a tad wider.That might have slowed that set down.Put that into the memory banks.It's 1and 1/2" wide.Thought about flipping tips too but that has it's draw backs.Is'nt going to make it shoot that much smoother.Thought about copperheads on it too but I like looks of osage.It's got some red streaks in the early wood.Too many decisions call it good.It's been a couple of years since I've worked osage.Been sinewing and fooling with other woods.
I like the way it'll fling an arrow now if I could only come to full draw every time I'd like it better....lol.
Got the cedar mated to the maple again.See if they can stay together this time.They say it's a good marriage....lol.The previous maple backing is sawdust on the floor right now.Got those maple backings from Pine hollow.They were cut with a band saw,cupped,and uneven.Run this one through a drum sander.Farthest I've had a cedar bow bending is 26" before you know what....lol and it was'nt this one either.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 09:12:11 pm »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:37:44 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:50:00 pm »
Nice work Beadman. I love how the side profile reveals none of the character you have in that stick. Looks like a shooter. Good luck with the cedar!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:59 am »
Real nice bow Ed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:01 am »
Nothing that special about it other than watching it cast an arrow really.I'll keep trying. While giving it some reflex and balancing the limbs some propeller was taken out too to make it look almost like a store bought type bow.Did that to it around the 20 ounce weight time after floor tiller.Still ended up weighing around 18.5 ounces in the end.Forgot how easy it was to heat and bend osage.It had a bit of deflex to it to begin with.Was going to quit with it and start shooting it in at the 19.2 weight but started reducing the last 10 inches on the tips.I need to refine that procedure a bit more.A good 1/3 ounce got took off each tip.I was surprised about that.Weighing it like that does help me refine things.
Got another the same length but with a little more working limb length on it with flipped tips.More parallel length limbs.More natural reflex in limbs to that one.Got a little more red streaks in it.Was a little stubborn balancing the limbs too.See if that one holds a little more reflex.These sage staves are all 3 years old.
Looking forward to putting my red cedar obsession to rest.Will clean that one up from glue sometime today and hopefully get it bending and on it's way to shooting in the next couple of days.Tips will need overlays too.It'll be just a target bow for me more than likely but with it's 68" NTN length should shoot nice and smooth.We'll see.
Glad Robin can put up with my bow making hobby although she's got get her things too.
BowEd
Ed