Author Topic: Need more tillering advice  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Re: Need more tillering advice
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 09:59:26 pm »
George, I have been using a cabinet scraper on this last little bit.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 12:25:34 am »
Oh good. I never let my stave get more than 3 # over final draw weight. When I take it down from the rope and pulley only minor adjustments are needed.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:35 am »
That is looking pretty good. If it feels good balance and draw weight wise? Go shoot it 100 times and lets see what it says.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 10:57:26 am »
Yes prop twist will try and fool the naked eye.  I find it more prevalent in plains style nocks. Single on the top and double on the bottom. Or vice versa. Welcome to the addiction

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 03:03:10 pm »
I agree wit Pearl,, shoot is a bit and see how it does,, looking good,,

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 03:24:24 pm »
That is looking pretty good. If it feels good balance and draw weight wise? Go shoot it 100 times and lets see what it says.

Looks like the outer thirds are going for a ride.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 07:31:27 pm »
Done a little work to her today and shot her a bunch. Shoots real good hand shock is minimal with just a little buzz after the shot. Think I can take care of that with string silencers. Also my string is pretty thick because I got it twisted up to fit bow. I think once I make one and mount silencers I will have a shooter.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 07:30:00 am »
Good work. I have some bows that are great with no silencers and some that need a bit of help. I cant explain each case, nor do I want to go through the list of variables. It just seems a few are angels from bow heaven, yet look like the rest.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 08:11:41 am »
I would like to thank everyone for the help and the valuable input. I can see I have a lot to learn but I enjoy it very much. Awesome seeing an arrow fly true out of a bow you made yourself.
  I have another question concerning my grip shape. How much can I roll the edges over into the back. I want it a lot more rounded because the edges are not comfortable.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 08:18:20 am »
Myself, I leave about a 1/2" wide band of intact back on my grips. Just draw a centerline on the back for a guideline and work the grip around to it. It will feel 10x better.

Option B: Leave it as is and glue a few pieces of 1/8 x 1 x 4" slabs of cork on it with wood glue. Then shape it with sandpaper. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 08:22:26 am »
I wrap the handle/cork in an ACE bandage so I know its conformed to the back as it dries hard.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 08:30:15 am »
  Thanks for the quick reply Pearl.