Author Topic: vinemaple?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline bushboy

vinemaple?
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:51:58 am »
I have a challenging stave i'm starting on and have. Never worked this stuff before.any tips on design,bending, shaping, heat treating, bark removal and any other insight would be awesome!thx's bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Re: vinemaple?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:27:48 am »
Couple pics
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:09:30 pm »
Some ideas in no particular order. I live in VM country and have made about 30 VM bows.
I have never had luck deflexing the handle on staves like that, but it sure would help.
Thickness taper is crucial on "roller coaster" Staves like that. I use calipers or fingers. Lumps at the knots should only be a tiny bit thicker, watch out for hinges on either side of the knot lumps.
When I tiller staves like this, I draw straight lines on the sides. I will find a post about this and link to it in a min.
Bark removal-i use a spokeshave and scraper. You will want to use some "scrap" vm to get the feel of it. When you go to taper the tips, try to cut some wedges off that have bits of bark on and use these to get a feel for it. You'll find a white papery inner bark. Be super careful at the knots, it's easy to cut into the back there.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:21:41 pm »
See my posts in this for advice on tillering by drawing straight lines onthe sides of rollercoaster areas http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43701.msg588408.html#msg588408
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:26:31 pm »
  Nice job,  A-A-Ron!  The thickness taper thing was my first thought.  I don't get to use vine maple, but on big anterior/posterior wiggles like that you have to establish either a good thickness taper, or a good consistent thickness to begin with, and at as thin a starting point as you dare, or any heat corrections or whatever are much harder and less likely to take.

Looks like a monster challenge, have fun.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:33:42 pm »
Thx's 4 the imfo!little tricky yeah!lol!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 02:48:29 pm »
I have worked very little with vine maple,, some things are universal,, as stated,, keep the taper even,,it may not look" right" but if the taper is even and all parts are working,,,it will make a nice bow,, I love the reflex,,it should have nice cast,, take is slow,, I am an old guy,, so I would just tiller as is,,as little heating as bending as possible,, but thats just me,, I am sure it will turn out nice,, B

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 03:30:21 pm »
  Aaron I saw your comment about re flexing st aves. I learned from crookarrow 15 years ago the IROQOUS tied down there saplings to have a reflexed back.

I just modified it to staves. COUPLE SAW HORSES  put stave tips on horses take a racket strap,hacket the middle down to the floor. I like 2 or 3 inchs.

REFLEXED NO HEAT USED

When ever you use heat on wood your changeing the cell structure no way of fixing it there is no good ending not even for o'sage.  O'sage RESPONES TO HEAT BETTER THAN ANY OTHER BOW WOOD. But it even hurts o'sage ,your bow could be better with out use'ing heat.

I do use heat on the handle if needed but not on working limbs.

I get it the stave straight as I rachet it down. So I can make the bow straight working it down or through tillering. I hav'nt bent a handle in a year at least.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 05:18:09 pm »
Good advice on the thickness taper around the extreme rollers coasters.
It's soooooo easy to get a thin spot on either side of a bump.
Rob I don't think I could of sent you a more challenging VM stave!
If she blows I'll send you another