Author Topic: Is this ash?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Is this ash?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 08:23:46 am »
Looks like ash to me. Hope its not green ash. Me and a buddy  thought we were stave rich a couple winters ago. We cut and split about 20 staves from green ash.. little did we know. I guess its white ash ya want for bows. havent touched any of mine.

What was the problem with Green Ash?

Never used it myself. But have read many times over, in books, that white ash is the only suitable ash of the green, black and white clan.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

riverrat

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »
its ash. great going you have some wonderful wood there!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 05:18:59 pm »
wish I would have cut more ash trees before the emerald ash borers ate em all up. Even after I heard about them, I obviously didn't take them serious enough. There's not a single tree around worth looking at now. All dead, or dying, or gone. They're becoming a real problem along the roadways as they die.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
To be honest I haven't made a bow with any ash species other than the white, but the specs on the wood are comparable according to wood database. I know the mills around here don't separate the green from the ash when they sell it, so at least those two species are pretty similar. The green is sought after by electric guitar makers like I mentioned above, as well as basket weavers. The wood will separate into thin slats if you hammer the log before pulling the slats off. It's woven immediately while still green. There was an awesome youtube video where a guy made a really impressive basket in no time flat.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 05:48:03 pm »
Get a sharp knife, cut a small 1/4" section on the end grain, shoot us a pic.  I'm practicing for a wood ID event!  Ash will have mostly clogged pores but some open ones especially close to the preceding ring.

Here ya go, this is white ash

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 07:29:21 pm »
Great example. thanks

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 09:52:22 pm »
White wood, ring porous, partial tyloses.  Check.  The more wood I can look at the better I'll do!