Author Topic: Need more tillering advice  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Need more tillering advice
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:18 pm »
I'm on my way to getting my first bow tillered. In doing so I had to get up into my lower limb fade. As a result what I have now, is a longer lower limb. Should I simply just cut some off or should I work on upper limb fade to lengthen that limb?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need more tillering advice
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:35:42 pm »
Just tiller each limb and make it balance in your hand. Limb length doesn't matter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:37:50 pm »
Could we see it braced and not on the tiller tree? I think I can see some of what your talking about but a better view would be helpful. If what I think I see is correct, I would work the other fade to match, but I can't say for certain because the fades are blocked from view partially.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 12:44:42 pm »
Pearl drums, so get it close on the pulley system, shape the handle how I want then start working on tiller from drawing it by hand? I would assume I'd do this by videoing myself drawing bow?? I hate to ask dumb questions but I'm green. I'm learning a lot. Speaking of dumb questions, I am hooking to my string with bow in tree pretty much where arrow cutout is. Is this where I want to do that? I've noticed the limbs act a lot different depending on where you center bow.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »
I will take some more pics and show one braced this afternoon. I don't have any right now besides the one I posted.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:08:37 pm »
"Pearl drums, so get it close on the pulley system, shape the handle how I want then start working on tiller from drawing it by hand? I would assume I'd do this by videoing myself drawing bow??

Yes, or just have someone snap a full draw digi. I aim for the bottom limb slightly stiffer by a 1/4" or so.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 03:20:28 pm »
Jawge, how close to final weight should I get on tree before I start the tillering method Pearl Drums and yourself mentioned?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »
10# heavy is a good start.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 04:40:57 pm »
Here's a pic of low brace

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:17 pm »
Right side is heavier by 3-5#. Bit stiff in the middle to. Left side is a bit stiff the first 10".

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:09 pm »
Pearl that's the kind of input I like.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 08:48:22 pm »
Some limb adjustment.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
I think I need to take some off the top limb, from the fade to mid limb. What do yall think??

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 09:53:07 pm »
Just a few scrapes at a time. You should be using a scraper-like tool. Exercise at short pulls. Check tiller often. You can leave it strung but watch you don't cut the string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:47 pm »
I have been studying pics and I now retract previous post. To me one pic of my last 2 looks like I need to take some off top and the other viewed from the other side of bow looks like some needs to come off bottom. I do have a little prop twist in the top limb and I guess its throwing things off. This stuff is kind of tough to get right, but man I am loving building bows. Its pretty addicting.