Author Topic: Maple stave with tearout - what to do?!  (Read 2625 times)

Offline JonW

Re: Maple stave with tearout - what to do?!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:04 pm »
Mike if you need something else just holler. Maple smoked brats with a corn whiskey chaser sounds delicious :D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 08:11:54 pm »
Maple smoked brats with a corn whiskey chaser sounds delicious :D
\

:laugh:
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »
Just curious as to why a crack running perpendicular to the grain matters? I've built a couple plum sapling bows that checked horribly... Deep cracks running several rings deep and a foot long.. Filled them with superglue and they held up fine.

Same in the section of the TBB, or perhaps it was Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans,  which talks about Osage being notorious for splitting perpendicular to the grain, sometimes the whole length of the limb. I personally haven't had this happen yet with Osage, but it mentions shooting such bows for many years without problems. Can't he just apply multiple coats of superglue until it's full.. sand it down smooth and get on with it? Or is maple a more sensitive wood?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:37:33 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 08:47:34 pm »
You may be correct and that, essentially, was an option Brad (I think) listed. And, being relative newb, I'm virtually non-versed with what can be done in such situations.
Maple isn't of the same caliber as osage as bow wood.
Thought "board" route was more conservative option since it's gonna be PlanB as my trade bow.
But ya make, in my view, all good points! Hope to see ya at MoJam.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:03:19 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »
Hope I didn't come off as asking it "at" you! I had pure intentions lol! I was asking in general because I'm actually curious if it would've worked and hoped someone would chime in. Good on you for decrowning. I can never get it to work without exposing hidden knots :/. Definitely planning on MoJam again. Hope the rain lets up this year.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:53 am »
Checks are separations only. He is missing wood which exposes two "ends" that will pop up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 08:31:11 am »
Bingo...Right viewpoint on that situation.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed