Author Topic: Maple stave with tearout - what to do?!  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Maple stave with tearout - what to do?!
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:01 am »
JonW gifted me a "squared up" maple stave some months ago. Got it out yesterday with idea of it being my "planB" bow for the "Another Invitational" trade. It's 1 3/8" deep x 1 3/4" wide x 65 long.
Bit of bark remained on back and I began scraping that off. 28" from one end I found this tearout that goes down into next ring. It's an inch long.

Location of this defect couldn't be much worse. Smack in middle of width and where inner third of working limb would be.

Suggestions re how to save this piece of wood are appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:40:22 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

Re: Maple stave with tearout - what to do?!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:59:22 am »
chaise a ring Mike😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »
Chase ring in hard maple? That seems scary. 'Course, if there's no better alternative ....
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
Smoke some sausage with it and grab a stick of osage :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »
where is that in the layout of the bow,,, handle or fades in a non working part,, it should be fine,,
looks like you got plenty of wood to go down to a good ring,,
rawhide backing would work ,, since it runs with the grain,, it will probably be ok anyway,,,,
if it was me,, I would go down to a clean ring,,,unless it is in a non working part of the bow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:50:52 pm »
Stave is 65" long and my victim wants 50ish# @ 28". So really don't wanna go less than 65".
Assuming 4" handle and 2" fade and equal length limbs, tearout would be in working limb roughly 1/2" beyond fade.
Now, if go w/ unequal length limbs and make tearout area in the shorter bottom limb ... hmmmm .... that could be solution.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:53:08 pm »
how's the edge grain if thats good just run it threw a tablesaw and make it a board should be just fine

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »
I'd like to see it in person, but it looks like it will require some filling and then a backing of some caliber.  If the tear out does not run off of the edges of the bow, that'll help some.  Perhaps a silk backed or even sinew backed bow would be in order here.

Like you, I'd be less than very much happy about the idea of trying to chase a ring on Hard Maple, though I bet it can be done.

OneBow

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 01:59:33 pm »
how's the edge grain if thats good just run it threw a tablesaw and make it a board should be just fine

Oh, yeah!  Plus 1 to this idea as well if that is an option!

OneBow

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 02:14:26 pm »
  Table saw what kind of bowyer are you. You have a table saw too.

Just kidding I could care less how you build your bows. But power tools and primitive bows shouldn't be talked about in the same lines.

Couple wood land Indian's setting around the camp fire. One has a finger raped up. One says whats wrong with your finger. He said AAA cut my finger on the ban saw.

I started out building bows by hand I guess I
 die with a rasp in my hand.

Chace a ring or 2 it may get rid of your check. If not fire wood start another.

My is it that most bowyers just can't move on. They have to try to fix the problem. Most hate to admit failure.

If it's not a quick fix I'll grab another stave and move on.

That be a good death for a bowyer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 02:21:40 pm »
Make it a board! Some of you guys know my (un)natural predilections too well!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:33:56 pm by Knoll »

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 03:58:08 pm »
If it's not a quick fix I'll grab another stave and move on

That's all fine and dandy but i can't think of too many staves that didn't have a challenge or three, and me personally I don't like to let the wood win, I've built bows with a hatchet and knife doesn't make me superior than someone else fer kripes sake

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »
<snip>I've built bows with a hatchet and knife doesn't make me superior than someone else fer kripes sake

+1  -OneBow

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 05:14:10 pm »
sometimes you don't have another stave,, thats incentive to make it work, been there done that for sure,, :)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 06:37:34 pm »
It's now Mabel, the board.  ;)
Thanks, guys, for the inputs.